Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jumbb

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Hi! I'm thinking to buy the iWork family pack with some friends so that we can install it on our macs and divide the price up, it's a lot cheaper!

But, in the apple site they say this:

Install the iWork Family Pack* on up to five Mac computers in your household.

So my question is:
Can you only install it in your household? Is there any way the software knows the 5 computers are not in the same place?
Or can you install them in just any 5 computers?

Thanks for your time!

AND- Do you think it's a good idea to buy it now? I don't know if there's a new version coming soon :)

EDIT- I read that the only difference between the normal and the family version of iWork is the licence. So if I buy the cheaper one, can I still install it in more computers and never get cought? Or will it stop working after I install it once?

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Hi! I'm thinking to buy the iWork family pack with some friends so that we can install it on our macs and divide the price up, it's a lot cheaper!

But, in the apple site they say this:

So my question is:
Can you only install it in your household? Is there any way the software knows the 5 computers are not in the same place?
Or can you install them in just any 5 computers?

Thanks for your time!

AND- Do you think it's a good idea to buy it now? I don't know if there's a new version coming soon :)

EDIT- I read that the only difference between the normal and the family version of iWork is the licence. So if I buy the cheaper one, can I still install it in more computers and never get cought? Or will it stop working after I install it once?

The software has no license key. Like OSx, they depend on your following the rules.

jumbb

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2010
The software has no license key. Like OSx, they depend on your following the rules.

Oh, thanks! But nothing happens if it's installed in many computers? I mean, Will the software still work fine?

And they only rely in me? They don't care if someone installs it in 1000 computers?

Caleb531

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
Oh, thanks! But nothing happens if it's installed in many computers? I mean, Will the software still work fine?

And they only rely in me? They don't care if someone installs it in 1000 computers?

I suppose you could, but that would be illegal. ;)

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
...as long as all users are part of the same household. It's still an honor system. It's your honor. Keep it or give it away.

PeckhamBog

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
London
Yeah, I know! I guess i'll buy the family package to don't feel bad about myself :)

And you won't feel bad when people steal from you, because they are 'justly' saving their hard earned money? You won't complain, feel you've been wronged? Yeah right? Are you a 'Tooheys' ad?

jumbb

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2010
And you won't feel bad when people steal from you, because they are 'justly' saving their hard earned money? You won't complain, feel you've been wronged? Yeah right? Are you a 'Tooheys' ad?

Uhm....did you even read the whole post? What is your point exactly? I don't even undrestand correctly what you wrote, it's all messed up. And yeah, I could've gotten the cheap one and install it in the 3 computers of the household but i'll buy the family pack because that's the right thing to do. ANY MORE COMPLAINTS?

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
So if I buy the cheaper one, can I still install it in more computers and never get cought? Or will it stop working after I install it once?[/B]

I could've gotten the cheap one and install it in the 3 computers of the household but i'll buy the family pack because that's the right thing to do.

Ok, which is it? People are just responding to everything you've written.

jumbb

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Ok, which is it? People are just responding to everything you've written.

I live with 3 friends in a house, we are in college. And the second part is that i'm incredulous at why apple did that instead of having a serial number for it...i just don't get it. Andy when I say
can I still install it in more computers and never get cought
i don't mean i'll actually do that, i'm talking in first person, but it's because I don't understand why apple did that.

PeckhamBog

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
London
I live with 3 friends in a house, we are in college.

And the second part is that i'm incredulous at why apple did that instead of having a serial number for it...i just don't get it.

Andy when I say
i don't mean i'll actually do that,
i'm talking in first person, but it's because I don't understand why apple did that.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood what you wrote. I presumptuously interpreted your words on the basis of what they said.

I didn't realise you didn't intend to do what you suggested, or was enquiring about, in your opening post.

Apple did supply serial numbers in an earlier version of iWork, if I recollect correctly. I'm thinking of when I installed it on our family computers in January 2008.

The current generation doesn't [have registration keys]. Prompting media reports that Macs were now susceptible to viruses when many people illegally downloaded 'free' copies from a site that included piggyback malware.

jumbb

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2010
I'm sorry if I misunderstood what you wrote. I presumptuously interpreted your words on the basis of what they said.

I didn't realise you didn't intend to do what you suggested, or was enquiring about, in your opening post.

Apple did supply serial numbers in an earlier version of iWork, if I recollect correctly. I'm thinking of when I installed it on our family computers in January 2008.

The current generation doesn't [have registration keys]. Prompting media reports that Macs were now susceptible to viruses when many people illegally downloaded 'free' copies from a site that included piggyback malware.

Thank you! That's exactly what I wanted to know :)

I will choose better words next time. ;)

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I live with 3 friends in a house, we are in college.

Yeah, I think that works. But, keep in mind that 2 of you will be renting the software from the one who keeps the disc. When someone moves out, he/she must remove the shared software to comply with the terms of the agreement. Besides, it's never a good idea to have software on your computer that you do not have a disc for, or a download source to reinstall it from in case of problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.