How does the LG 34UM95 compare to a retina screen?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NICKXXXXXX, Oct 24, 2014.

1. NICKXXXXXX macrumors regular

So i'm guessing this new LG screen haven't gone under anyones radar. My question however is how does it stack up against a retina screen? The reason I haven't wanted to buy it is because i'm afraid the screen will be sub par compared to my retina macbook pro. I've been thinking about building a gaming pc and then that would be perfect because if we get a thunderbolt display it most likely wont be able to connect with a pc.

2. brentsg macrumors 68040

I think the PPI is the same as the current Thunderbolt display. It's nowhere near 4K.

3. NICKXXXXXX thread starter macrumors regular

I don't understand what you are saying now. Is the 4k screen not 4k?? :confused:

4. brentsg macrumors 68040

The LG is NOT a 4k screen. It's 3440x1440.

5. NICKXXXXXX thread starter macrumors regular

Well i'll be damned... Is there any external monitor at all that can be compared to the retina screen?

6. g4cube macrumors 6502a

Here is a website that will calculate DPI pixel density. Plug in a few numbers or look at what others have already done:

http://dpi.lv/

7. NICKXXXXXX thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm. Only 110 PPI. That means there will be a huge difference then coming from my retina screen

8. hyune83 macrumors member

9. megalaser macrumors 6502

megalaser

This is a silly thread, how does a bicycle compare to a train?

10. NICKXXXXXX thread starter macrumors regular

It depends on where you are. Sometimes the train is better, sometimes the bike.

11. Poki macrumors 6502a

Poki

If your "retina screen" is not the 5k iMac, but rather a MacBook or iPad, then it won't be a serious downgrade. The current Apple Thunderbolt Display still delivers better colors and contrast than the MBPr in my experience. So the only thing you loose is pixel density. Still, 110 ppi is NOT bad for a desktop screen, and I never had a problem working on my TB display.

12. NICKXXXXXX thread starter macrumors regular

Ah I see. Well I still don't know. Might just hold my thumbs apple releases a 24 inch 4k screen.

13. Poki macrumors 6502a

Poki

If they release a new screen, it will most probably be an updated 27" Thunderbolt Display with the new panel used in the 5k iMac. Not gonna happen soon though - the technology to drive an external 5k display without lag simply isn't there yet. Even Thunderbolt 2 isn't certified for that resolution, although it might work with some software tricks.

14. NICKXXXXXX thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I know. That's why I'm hoping they do a 4k that works with TB2

15. Poki macrumors 6502a

Poki

I honestly don't see a reason why they should. There are already quite good 4k screens out there, and they already developed the 5k screen. Why put money in R&D to build something the competition already has if you already have something more advanced at your hands?

I guess they'll find a way to connect such a display to a Mac. One solution would be to use two Thunderbolt 2 ports. But that'd only work with the Mac Pro, as every other Mac only has one TB controller (please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe the two TB ports in some Macs are accessing the same controller).

Also, they could make use of the additional bandwith TB 2 offers, but that would slow down other connected TB devices. Maybe they manage to work with some kind of h.265 compression to transfer the signal, but this would make the screen even more expensive due to the need for an h.265 decoder. But I guess they'll find a solution, it's just unclear whether it will work with current TB2 equipped Macs.

16. NICKXXXXXX thread starter macrumors regular

Well they could at least update current thunderbolt displays. Slimmer design. USB 3.0, hdmi. New charter for newer macs etc

17. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

The other problem with doing a 4k Thundebolt Display is the GPU requirements to drive the display and perform well.

Would be a nightmare with MacBook Air owners (as an example) plugging into it and expecting great 4k performance (it would not be).

Bigger issue than just how to connect 4k/5k displays.
    Driving them is still an issue for many machines.

18. Poki macrumors 6502a

Poki

Actually, the Intel HD5000 should be perfectly capable of driving a 4k screen. Editing 4k video or playing games at 4k is an entirely different story, of course. But just driving the pixels to render on-screen content should be entirely possible at an acceptable framerate. It even includes a not too shabby decoding unit for watching 4k video at native resolution.

19. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Simply being able to display it does not equal a great experience, especially with an animation and graphically taxing OS like Yosemite now standard.

I think that is the issue right now. They don't just want it to work...but work very well.