Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
I have a text file I keep in an encrypted sparesebundle. I write things in there of a sensitive nature.

I unmount the sparsebundle drive when I am done obviously. But I realized that Lion keeps a revision history of all the saves of that file when I click on the filename title.

Where is that stored? Is my sensitive text file being stored somewhere accessible even though it's supposed to just be safe in the sparesbundle??

Not quite sure how this time-machine style versioning of files works when you're editing something you DON'T want saved somewhere accessible.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I have a text file I keep in an encrypted sparesebundle. I write things in there of a sensitive nature.

I unmount the sparsebundle drive when I am done obviously. But I realized that Lion keeps a revision history of all the saves of that file when I click on the filename title.

Where is that stored? Is my sensitive text file being stored somewhere accessible even though it's supposed to just be safe in the sparesbundle??

Not quite sure how this time-machine style versioning of files works when you're editing something you DON'T want saved somewhere accessible.

Versions are kept here: In a hidden folder named .DocumentRevisions-V100 in the root directory of your hard drive.

I suggest you consider SplashID Safe or 1Password. Managing your own sparsebundle seems like too much work and now you are fighting against Lion's automatic version saving to a non-encrypted area of your HDD. Another option to consider is the freeware Textwrangler which behaves like Textedit ought to.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
I just want to write private, un-reachable documents that don't leave versions or traces. Maybe I have to go online for this. Full encryption.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.