How does the Macbook cool?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Waffle Stomping, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Waffle Stomping macrumors newbie

How does the unibody Macbook release heat? I would like to have it sit on my desk 75% of the time and hooked up to a monitor. Would heating be a issue?

Thanks!

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

It has a fan and vents in the back. As long as you don't block the back directly, you can run it open or closed however you like.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

There is a cooling fan. It won't be cool as well as if it was open, but it won't overheat as long as you adequate clearance behind the computer.

4. fedup flyer macrumors regular

I would also suggest elevating the laptop slightly so air can more freely circulate under the bottom of the unit. I purchased a cheapo riser just to get it off of the table top. It made the wood very, very warm.

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Been there, felt that! :eek::eek:

6. jimboutilier macrumors 6502a

Like most machines a combination of convection and radiation.

The fan exhausts air through the rear of the machine and convection wise it cools just as well open or closed. Keep the rear of the machine clear of obstruction and it will be fine.

Because of the metal body and chassis it also releases a fair bit of heat through radiation. You loose some radiation surface area when its closed but the display is off then as well so again it will be fine closed if on a hard surface that allows its "legs" to keep a bit if air space between most if its bottom and the surface its on.

While not required it will benefit from a simple inexpensive "cooling pad" that raises it and has holes that allows more air to circulate underneath it than its little "legs" (bumps?) would.

7. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Do you reckon the salmon pink "MacBook Tan Line" will ever come into fashion?

Seriously, this baby could heat my house if I ever found the off button for the boiler *grumble* N-Power indeed.

8. gibbz macrumors 68030

Not to be picky, but wouldn't that be convection and conduction? Radiation is EM waves that directly transports energy through space. There can be no medium between the source and receiver (like the Sun and the Earth). :)

9. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Then why do we call that finned heating contraption a radiator?

10. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

It radiates the heat that is convected. So yes, the aluminium case does indeed radiate heat.