How Does the New iPad Handle iPhone Apps?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Gooseboy, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Gooseboy macrumors newbie

The old iPad did a terrible job handling iPhone apps. The only available option was to upscale the image to double its original size. And it still continues to use the older iPhone images even after most apps have upgraded to retina.

I'd like to know if anyone has tried using iPhone apps on their new iPad. How does it look? Does it at least use the retina version? Or does it now quadruple the old pre-retina 320×480 image? (Please, God, say no.)

2. cualexander macrumors 6502a

I haven't tested graphic intensive apps but I brought up Spotify on my original iPad and the new iPad and it's definitely sharper overall. It looks much better. Still not perfect, but it's better.

3. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I expect it's being rendered at 960x640. And from what I've heard, this seems to be the case.

4. cualexander macrumors 6502a

Yeah there was a jailbreak app for iPad that would use retina graphics in the doubling and it looks like that's what they are doing in the new iPad. I'm download NBA Jam for iPhone for comparison because I have both the normal and HD iPad versions, so I'll be able to tell.

5. cualexander macrumors 6502a

I just confirmed. The new ipad is most definitely using the retina iPhone graphics for scaling. I downloaded NBA Jam for iPhone on both an original iPad and the new iPad. It's crisp and clear on the new iPad when doubled and it's pixelated on the old iPad when doubled. And if you compare the iPad HD version to the iPhone pixel doubled on the new iPad, they look the same.

Obviously even pixel doubled using the retina graphics of iPhone isn't going to look as a full retina iPad app though, but still it's passable.

Good news indeed.

6. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Great find. I wish this would have been done a long time ago.

7. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Excellent news!

8. DS3 macrumors 6502a

I wish there was an option to have it take up the full screen (or as close to it as it can). I know precise 2x scaling is ideal, but there are a few iPhone only games where the extra distance to the virtual thumbsticks caused by the border make it uncomfortable/impossible to play them.

And I bet most people would set it to full screen for all of them anyway.

Of course, I am glad they finally made it use retina upgrades anyway. Nice upgrade I wasn't sure would be there.