How does the remote work with iPod HiFi?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by dcv, Sep 3, 2007.

1. dcv macrumors G3

I bought an iPod HiFi for my sister's birthday, which we tried out at the weekend. Sounds amazing but I have a query about the remote control...

Pressing the "Menu" button on the remote doesn't appear to do anything - the light just flashes amber. It seems you can only adjust the volume or skip forward/back through tracks. Seems a bit odd to me that you can't get back to the main menu. We tried another Apple remote with the hifi and it did the same thing. :confused:

Is this normal operation or is something wrong here?

(no I haven't read the manual :p)

2. nlivo macrumors 6502a

no you can't go through the menu's with the apple remote...what the menu button does is....if you have something else plugged in the back of the Hi-Fi (shuffle, or some other crappy mp3 player) you can hit the menu button and it will switch from playing the iPod's music to the thing that is plugged in at the back.

3. dcv thread starter macrumors G3

D'oh! Well that's a bit "clever" of Apple isn't it? :rolleyes: I can't believe you can't go back to the main menu!

Thanks nlivo, for clearing that up anyway.

4. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

The only reason the remote has a menu button on it is so that Apple can just use the same remotes for everything. (MacBooks, iMacs, :apple:tvs, universal docks)
    And just maybe there will be a new iPod Hi-Fi at Wednesdays event. :)