How does the repair/replacement process work?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theineffablebob, Oct 7, 2012.

1. theineffablebob macrumors regular

My Macbook Pro Retina has what looks to be 4 dead pixels and I'm thinking about getting it repaired/replaced at the Apple Store. I've had it for about 2 months.

How does the process work? Do they repair it in the shop or do they ship it off to a repair center? Will I be out of a laptop until the replacement comes? How long does it take? (My rMBP is the base model with no customizations). Will the replacement be shipped to the Apple Store or will it be shipped to my address?

2. trikky macrumors regular

What did they say at the Apple Store when you asked them?

3. theineffablebob thread starter macrumors regular

Haven't taken it there yet. I won't have time until Saturday.

4. mikeheenan macrumors 6502

I just discovered a single dead pixel on mine, I took it in today, and I'm basically SOL. They suggested I call apple care and explain the situation, and perhaps I'd get a replacement that way.

5. isittheend, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012

isittheend macrumors newbie

I think the following links may shed some light on the display issues of LG panels plaguing the new rMBP(image retention) and one of the reasons why the Samsung lottery may not work for many buyers.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timwors...cing-itself-from-samsung-as-a-parts-supplier/

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...-to-samsung-loses-patent-case-in-germany.html

I recently purchased a rMBP; sent it back due to the LG screen only to receive another LG screen. :( I have been trying to decide whether or not to send it back and continue the Samsung lottery, get a 2012 Macbook Air (which I have read complaints about the displays screen for these as well regarding another issue involving screen color with the LG displays), or return and request a refund since I am in my 14-day return period.

It seems that Apple is counting on buyers to not be informed and accept the LG panels. It's almost as if Apple is trying to punish Samsung. Despite the lawsuits, Apple and Samsung need each other. Apple really needs to get this message! The quality of LG panels is not what consumers want. Some are receiving Samsung screens due to repairs but replacing a screen on a brand new machine should not even be a thought! It should come from the factory in such condition. Only those that know about the issue seem to get Samsung screen replacements; this leads to another possibility---the Samsung screen supply must be very limited.

As I continue to reflect on the issues, I think I am beginning to like the last option. Returning it for a refund seems like a good option, as this may be the only way to get Apple's attention (and LG's attention too) regarding the matter of the rMBP. If people don't buy it (until the quality of the screens improves---Samsung displays in the rMBP), they cannot sell it! Imagine the power of the informed consumer!

Please help me to spread the information about Apple's reduction in Samsung orders! Knowledge is power!