How does the RMBP handle lower resolutions (eg pixel art games?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sonic, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Sonic macrumors regular

As per the thread, I'm just interested to know how the machine handles games in 640x480 res in particular. It's still very commonly used in indie games, and I'm a game developer, so it's very important to me. Also for retro gaming in general.

Is there actually a separate virtual and real resolution setting? In other words, do we get all the legacy resolutions (via the dropdown menu next to Spotlight, if you have that on, or in Displays under under system settings) scaled within the actual different 'native' retina resolutions that I've seen images of? Or does it literally only support those listed (from 1024px across upwards iirc), and that is the new Displays page? Has anyone tested out a game in 640px across, and does it even work, or is it bordered?

Thanks for your help in advance! Hopefully that makes sense, it's harder than anticipated to get my head round the details of the implementation...

2. Ksubi macrumors member

This is interesting and I'd like an answer too because I play Static Hotel (retro based for Habbo), haha

3. Sonic thread starter macrumors regular

Well I went down to the Apple store today and played on one, and used a USB stick to test my game (and got in trouble, oops! Didn't know that wasn't allowed!)

Good news is it supports 640x480 just fine, with borders at left and right as per previous MBP's. I guess just not within OSX itself...

I saw no major lag in any screen mode either which was my other concern. Felt nice and light, and the hires screen was very nice indeed.

Happy to have it on order, wish it wasn't three weeks!

4. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

You got in trouble?! What Nazis!