How does the SMS app date/time stamp work

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by johndallas999, Nov 29, 2012.

1. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Seems totally random when it inserts a time/date stamp on messages sent. Anyway to control that?

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I've never fully tested it but from casual observation, it appears to be based on a 15-minute interval (if I'm remembering correctly).

So, if I text you right now (12:30 PM my time) and we text back and forth without really any breaks, a time stamp would appear above whoever sends the first text at or after 12:45 PM...I think...

3. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Sounds about right. Would be nice to have an option to always have a time stamp if a user so wished.

4. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Yup, it's been a common request since the initial iPhone, but it's so far fallen on deaf ears at Apple.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

The most recent design of Facebook Messeger app kind of adopted the look and feel--down to the timestamp functionality, or essentially lack of it--of the Apple Messages app. However, one thing is different with the Facebook Messenger when it comes to timestamps that makes a whole lot of difference: you can actually individually tap on a message and that will take you to the screen with just that message and all of its related information, like its actual timestamp. Seems fairly straightforward and can't really be that hard to implement. Not sure why Apple can't really be bothered to do something like that.

6. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Still confused as to why Apple took it upon themselves to decide that people didn't need to know the times of all their text messages. I mean it can be pretty useful if someone says "See you there in 15 minutes"!