How does the sound volume on a MBP compare to the original MB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davidg4781, Feb 5, 2012.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Quick version... I have a CD MacBook and considering upgrading down in the distant future to a MBP. Is the volume louder on the MBP? I can hardly hear my MB's sound, especially if there is other noise in the room.

Long version... I'm thinking of getting a cooling pad (yes miles, I know they don't really cool) because I want something to put between my mattress and the bottom of my MacBook that allows some airflow. I came across some that have built in speakers and I was wondering if I should buy one of these or just get a less expensive passive one. Of course, it could be a year or so before upgrading, but honestly, I'm really considering getting an aluminum unibody MacBook, just because.

2. simsaladimbamba

What MBP are you looking at. The 13" MBP will be a bit louder, the 15" a lot and the 17" a lot more.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try Boom. It makes a difference!

4. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

pretty much. The speakers aren't meant for audiophiles, obviously. but on my 17" they are loud and mostly distortion free.

5. tarponbeach macrumors member

I concur, Boom makes a huge difference, and it also adds a system wide graphic equalizer.

6. malman89 macrumors 68000

It is a pretty nifty tool, though. Not sure I'm going to buy it - trial just ran out. Wish it was free hehe.

It's just terrible how quiet the old MBs are in OSX. The volume is louder in Windows for some reason, but even then some things I need to pop in headphones to listen to since I don't have external speakers.

7. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Sorry, I'm interested in the 13" MBP. And I tried Boom a while back but didn't like it for some reason. Either it messed up my alarm or distorted things, I can't recall.

So I should be somewhat ok with a 13" MBP?

And you're right about these speakers. I remember when my roommate would send me a link to a youtube video... we would have to both play them at the same time and he would turn his VIAO up about 75%. This way overpowered my MacBook and I was able to hear the audio from the video.

Hey, we were nerdy college kids. Or college graduates...