Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Quick version... I have a CD MacBook and considering upgrading down in the distant future to a MBP. Is the volume louder on the MBP? I can hardly hear my MB's sound, especially if there is other noise in the room.

Long version... I'm thinking of getting a cooling pad (yes miles, I know they don't really cool) because I want something to put between my mattress and the bottom of my MacBook that allows some airflow. I came across some that have built in speakers and I was wondering if I should buy one of these or just get a less expensive passive one. Of course, it could be a year or so before upgrading, but honestly, I'm really considering getting an aluminum unibody MacBook, just because.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Quick version... I have a CD MacBook and considering upgrading down in the distant future to a MBP. Is the volume louder on the MBP? I can hardly hear my MB's sound, especially if there is other noise in the room.
Try Boom. It makes a difference!

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Try Boom. It makes a difference!

It is a pretty nifty tool, though. Not sure I'm going to buy it - trial just ran out. Wish it was free hehe.

It's just terrible how quiet the old MBs are in OSX. The volume is louder in Windows for some reason, but even then some things I need to pop in headphones to listen to since I don't have external speakers.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Sorry, I'm interested in the 13" MBP. And I tried Boom a while back but didn't like it for some reason. Either it messed up my alarm or distorted things, I can't recall.

So I should be somewhat ok with a 13" MBP?

And you're right about these speakers. I remember when my roommate would send me a link to a youtube video... we would have to both play them at the same time and he would turn his VIAO up about 75%. This way overpowered my MacBook and I was able to hear the audio from the video.

Hey, we were nerdy college kids. Or college graduates...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.