How Does the View Menu Work?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by warburg, Nov 20, 2009.

1. warburg macrumors 6502a

I've had many Macs but I'm new to the Leopard and Snow Leopard OS. I asumed in the past that if a folder was set to view files as icons or as text, the setting would remain that way unless changed.

Using Snow Leopard in a 17" MacBook Pro, I have my HD set to view folders and fies as icons. I find, however, that if I set another folder to view icons as files and close my HD when I am finished with the folder, when I open the HD again, my icons are no longer there and all the folders and files are displayed as text.

Is there any way i can keep my HD set to folder display?

2. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

It should be just a matter of opening Finder, clicking your Hard Drive on the left, then click the Icon button on the toolbar.
    Then View menu, then Show View Options, and check Always open in icon view.

3. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

If you're used to the Classic Mac OS, welcome to the sad reality that is today's Finder. Believe you me, there's plenty of us that wish we could go back to a nice, sane Finder that remembered these things. The fact is just that the OS X Finder sucks at remembering these things. It's been a well-known and much-griped-about issue for the better part of the last decade :(

4. warburg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks very much. You solved my problems in this area. :D Even the Pogue manual seems to be wrong on this question. In Snow Leopard at least, you have to check the view options for each folder if you have a preference. It's not automatic,as he indicates.