How does the warranty work when ordering online?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Thedutchjelle, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Thedutchjelle macrumors newbie

Hello people,

New schoolyear is almost starting, and I was planning to start this year with a fresh new imac (Currently have the last of the white-plastic ones.) Planning to buy it with the student discount, as I'm a student at an university.

I keep hearing those awful stories about the yellow screen issues and the like. While I understand it's only a small portion of the iMacs that are affected, I would like to know how the warranty for such a thing works when I ordered a customized iMac online. I had a few questions regarding this.

Can I simply return the iMac for repair to a physical store ? And how do I know wether a shop is simply selling Apple products or is an actual Apple store? I assume the stores I can find through the Apple website are all actual Apple stores, but it would be nice if someone could confirm this.

I believe Dutch law makes it so that I have 6 months warranty after I bought a computer, so that should cover the yellow-screen issue as well..

In all the years that I've been using this white iMac, I haven't had any problems with it and I never bought AppleCare for it either, so I'm not entirely sure how that would work.

Many thanks in advance :)

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

My MacPro was CTO and I brought it back to a local retail Apple store and they fixed it. I did not have to send it back. The warranty in the US is 1 year and you get that right away where you are. However, there is another law that may affect you and extend that 1 year to 2. Either way, if you have a store nearby, order online and if you have issues then you should be able to take it up with the store.

Another thing, that issue only affects a small population. It looks like a huge issue because it is frequently discussed here, but I bet if you run numbers the affected users is only a small segment of the entire consumer population of iMac purchasers. Don't worry so much and know your rights under your warranty.

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Buying an Apple from their online store is the same as buying it in a physical store. If you have further questions you can call the online store, their phone number is in the upper left of the store's home page.

4. John T macrumors 68020

John T

First of all, remember that out of all the iMacs sold, only a minute percentage suffer from problems. Generally speaking, those who don't have any problems with their machines don't post on Forums such as this one. The minority that do are, in my opinion, usually ultra-picky and like to complain in public of the smallest detail.

Once you have your new machine, in the event of anything going wrong, look on the Apple website under "Support" and locate your local Apple Store or Apple Approved Service Provider. Speaking from personal experience, it's not a good idea to go to any shop that sells Apple machines. They often use general computer repairers who are not specifically trained by Apple to service their products.

In the past, I have used my local Apple Approved Service Provider. I was more than happy with the service I received - particularly with the Apple Warranty on the work carried out.

5. zarathu macrumors regular

zarathu

It really doesn't make any difference where you bought it: store, walmart, friend, nutcase on Craigslist... etc.

Apple tracks the machines by serial number, and Apple care/warranty. If it needs repair and its either under warranty or under the extened applecare, The Apple Store or the online sending it to people will know this immediately.

I needed to have my macbookpro fixed due to a faulty Nvidia GPU. THEY TOLD ME THAT I BOUGHT IT USED. I knew this, but it didn't make any difference to them. The warranty follows the machine. Apple's motto in regard to warranty should be: LOVE THE OWNER THAT THE MAC IS WITH. Cause they do.

6. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

yeah, and as long as its under warranty, anything the computer does that shouldn't be, you can take it in. let it be faulty GPU, hard drive, yellowscreen, blue screen, your computer grows its own set of emotions. they will check it and repair it for free! just don't drop it, break it, throw it, or let anyone else beat it. :apple:

7. Thedutchjelle thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies!

Now I don't have to worry about the possibility of getting a faulty iMac anymore :) . I do realize that the chances are very slim, but a new iMac costs heaps of money and it would be a major bummer if I would be in that .01% that gets a yellowscreen.

@Accesoryguy: If I buy a new iMac, I'll try my best not to throw with it. :p