How does the watch know when you stand up (fitness tracking stuff)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by KauaiBruce, Mar 5, 2015.

1. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

One of the major reasons I am upgrading from the Pebble is the built in fitness stuff. I know I need to stand more during my work day. I am just curious how it knows about standing time. Do we have to tell it we just stood up? I use a high stool at work and my head and hands are no higher when I stand versus sitting. Do we have slightly different blood pressure when standing? I hope that is not enough to change the heart rate.

I DO want it to be automatic without having to tell it all the time. It would be great if I get credit for standing fairly regularly. Something like it knowing I did stand for a minute during the previous hour so it does not send me the reminder.

PS: I DO know it is smart enough to know when we are getting our heart rate up to where we want and to track steps. Just curious how it know I stood up.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Gyroscope and accelerometer. Presumably, it senses the motion of your body when you go from sitting to standing. How accurate it is will be interesting to find out. Especially when standing from a high chair like in your situation.

3. Exile714 macrumors 6502a

People's heart rate rises when they move from sitting or laying to standing, so maybe that factors in? That would mean it's always tracking heart rate, though, which might be too large a battery drain.

4. AppleNexus macrumors newbie

Probably as simple as the last time you took a certain number of steps. I'd bet it's more of a get up and move around than just a stand up and stretch and sit back down type of situation.