How does this 4k Windows laptop compare to rMBP 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by galaksy, May 24, 2014.

1. pgiguere1, May 24, 2014
    Last edited: May 24, 2014

pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Good resolution and color gamut, but has a significantly less bright screen than the rMBP (which itself is not that bright).

It is thicker and heavier than a rMBP, probably due to the fact it has a spinning hard drive, which is slightly outdated for today's standards, but still good for people who want lots of storage for cheap.

Graphics are better than in a rMBP, appropriate for gaming at high settings.

Build quality and touchpad are almost guaranteed to be worse.

Battery life is terrible on the Toshiba. That's because the battery is physically a lot smaller than the rMBP's, despite the Toshiba's form factor, combined with Windows, a very high-res screen and a powerful GPU. LaptopMag tested a 2h38 battery life, compared to 8h57 for the rMBP.

Overall I'd prefer the 15" rMBP but this is significantly cheaper. The rMBP would have a higher resale value later so the price difference might not be very big in the end. The Toshiba would be a more appropriate laptop for gaming but would otherwise be worse in every aspect.

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

What a shame they are still putting 5400rpm drives in $2000 4k laptops. It cripples the thing so badly it's disgusting.

3. galaksy thread starter macrumors 6502

I heard that retina screens break well. Would using a screen protector good enough?

4. kelon111 macrumors 6502

At least the drive is user changeable so I guess someone could put a 1 TB SSD if they wanted.

----------

Why don't you look at a Dell Precision M3800 instead.

5. galaksy thread starter macrumors 6502

How does the dell compare with the 4k toshiba

6. pgiguere1, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014

pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

I just posted a detailed comment about it...

Don't buy it. It's basically a bulky gaming-oriented laptop with terrible battery life and outdated spinning hard drive. Screen is sharp but not bright. 4K is basically useless for laptop gaming, and this laptop sucks big time compared to the rMBP in everything but gaming. If gaming is what you want, save by buying a non-4K gaming laptop. If you want an all-purpose laptop, get something more "balanced" i.e., less bulky, with a better battery life, with SSD but not necessarily with such a high-end GPU.

7. kelon111 macrumors 6502

It's a pretty nice machine.

Dell business class machines are made better than Toshiba business class machines.

Some people view the Precision M3800 as a business class version of the MacBook Pro Retina 15" model so that's the closest Windows laptop you'll get that compares with the MacBook Pro Retina 15" model at the moment.

M3800 review

8. galaksy thread starter macrumors 6502

How are they better made? In a review I heard that the dell mousepad doesn't work very well

9. kelon111, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014

kelon111 macrumors 6502

"The touchpad is rather large, measuring 104 x 80 mm (~4 x 3 inches) and thus offering more than enough space when moving the cursor or issuing large-scale multi-touch commands. The gliding properties as well as its reaction speed are great, leading to a comfortable working experience. The touchpad buttons function well, too, but they are not quite as "comfy" as dedicated buttons. Unfortunately, not only the number pad is missing, but also a TrackPoint (which is there on all larger Precision laptops), a painful cut for all fans of this input method."

Read the review that I linked to...

The M3800 is not better than the RMBP 15" in every way but here are some pros:
    User removable: battery , SSD , RAM
    Ability to have two different SSDs in the laptop at the same time ( meaning you could have 2 TB of SSDs)
    Higher resolution screen
    Quadro GPU ( pro for CAD and other similar work)
    Touch screen (like a basic tablet)
    Business class warranty

Cons:
    less battery life but can be comparable with the bigger battery and one SSD (mSATA) instead
    Can't run Mac OS X natively (if you need Mac OS X , you are stuck with Apple for the most part)
    Does not use PCIE SSD (hard to notice in basic tasks)

10. thundersteele macrumors 68030

They look like solid machines to me, with powerful graphics. Battery life is low, and the missing SSD is a no-go for me. I don't know about the build quality, e.g. whether I would like the touchpad or the keyboard. You have to try for yourself.

I don't understand this statement. Don't drop your laptop, don't hit the screen with heavy or sharp objects and they will be fine.

11. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I could not agree with you more. I hate that they still sell them and that I have to work on them for family/friends. :(

-P

12. brdeveloper, May 29, 2014
    Last edited: May 29, 2014

brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Don't know what the point of providing a touchpad not centered. Do they suppose that most people use the touchpad with left hand?

These machines are ugly, heavy and unbalanced (GDDR3 gpu RAM on a 17" machine -- not the one shown above, but there's another "high-end" model on the site, the P70 which uses GDDR3).

In the PC world, no one beats Thinkpads and Precisions.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I hate non centered touch pads, talk about a horrible design.

14. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

But that 1 TB SSD is no PCI-e SSD that can go to 1gb/s in read & write speed that the Retina Macbook Pro has.

15. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

big deal , doubt you would EVER notice.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd go with storage over PCIe at that point. SSDs are blazingly quick anyways and getting that large of an SSD is a better imo :)

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I heard raw eggs crack if drop them.

18. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

19. EvilMonk macrumors regular

EvilMonk

Anyone else think this guy is really hard working to hide that hes a troll just making fun of mac users coming here without making a point and only replying without even wanting to understand or know those laptops?!? I think its just some kid trying to start a little bashing or something...

20. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

I don't think that's the case at all. I think english is his second language, and he wants a better deal.

He could go with the dell precision but it would cost more than the rMBP so I'd go with the rMBP anyway. Toshiba just like other bargain companies cut corners in places, and that's evident in many aspects of their computers. Hardware is generally on par, but not as well thought out as Business level computers (dell precision) or Macs.

21. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Arstechnica reviewed it, they didn't like it much besides for the bragging factor of being the only 4k laptop on the market.
    As opposed to a 256gb drive?

22. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

As opposed to a 7200rpm..........................

23. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

The trackpad is aligned with the spacebar and qwerty keyboard, all of which are moved left to make space for the numeric keypad to the right. So there is method to the madness. Whether it's ideal to be typing and scrolling on the left of a laptop is another matter.

24. galaksy, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014

galaksy thread starter macrumors 6502

How is the Dell Precision better than the 4k Toshiba? I looked at the reviews and one review of the Precision M3800 said that the touch pad doesn't work very well. What did Toshiba cut corners? I did notice they have a short spacebar. But considering I would be using this mostly at home and maybe using a blue tooth keyboard, I think I might be okay with it.

Another one I was considering was Samsung ATIV 9. How does that compare to rMBP? Looking at the description on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-NP900...remium-Ultrabook/dp/B00CTHQQBE#productDetails it looks like it has only 4 GB RAM. Is that unupgradeable?

----------

I guess you could take the 5400rpm HDD out and stick in a 256 SSD? Is there a way you can have both the HDD and SSD in this laptop?

I guess I could put in a 256 SSD and then resort to using an external HDD.

Or put in a 7200rpm.

As for the battery problem I could use an external battery like this? ($100) http://www.amazon.com/20000mAh-Mult...683043&sr=1-6&keywords=external+battery+anker

Doesn't this have a better color gamut than the rMBP too?

I just found out that the special $200 discount ends today! I better make a decision today.

I guess it would be harder to buy this 4k Toshiba after today (June 2nd), because if I decide that it would be the best choice for me, it would be hard to buy it with the thought that it was $200 cheaper a short while ago.