How does this affect piracy?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by philip in al, Dec 11, 2010.

1. philip in al macrumors regular

From a recent article:

<<NetworkWorld is reporting that Apple has disabled or removed the Jailbreak Detection API in iOS 4.2.1, which was used by apps to detect if the user's iDevice was jailbroken. 1

Network World reports that the API, which was released in June as part of a mobile device management (MDM) bundle for iOS 4.0, has been disabled in iOS 4.2, leaving perplexed vendors to question why. The API had previously allowed third-party MDM applications, such as AirWatch or Sybase's Afaria, to check for unauthorized modifications to the system files, author John Cox wrote. 2

Jailbreak exploits typically change a number of operating system files, and exploit one or another low-level OS features to let users directly load their own or third-party applications. 3

2. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

Hmmm, you learn something new every day. Though the only reason I jailbreak is really for BiteSMS, I pay for my apps, even the 3rd party ones.

3. amarcus macrumors 6502

4. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

The only aspect of piracy is Installous, which is only ONE aspect. Jailbreaking is so much more than that. It's about customizability and more tweaks and themes and the use of shortcuts like Activator and BiteSMS.

5. iLover1 macrumors member

I was called a pirate because i have cydia on my springboard, i said i needed to JB in order to unlock.
    JB its not just for piracy, it grants you full control of the device.

6. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

These other apps and developers mentioned aren't concerned with piracy at all from what I've gathered from that snippet. They are concerned with how this affects the ways in which their applications can integrate and monitor an iPhone. This is more in relation to security and how certain apps, such as AirWatch or Sybase's Afaria as stated, used to be able to verify the integrity of iPhones on a corporate network setup.

This API was basically just another way to help verify the security of a device and make sure only authorized apps (from an in-house app list or authorized App Store apps) get onto a device.

So in the end it seems they are concerned with unauthorized deviant apps getting on the device through jailbraking, thus making the previously locked down device unsecure, not with pirated apps.

7. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Apple probably realized they were wasting their time since any one jailbreaking is smart enough to do a complete restore if apple need to look at the phone. A restore will obviously wipe any evidence of a previous jailbreak.

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If you restore from a backup it wipes a lot but not all.

9. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

prob cause it was not legal when 4.0 was out and now it is.

10. TJone macrumors 6502a

It may be legal now but Apple still officially is against it. I am surprised they would remove this feature. My company uses Good Messaging for corporate email and Good advertises they can block access to JB devices if the App detects the JB since they feel JB devices on the corporate network are less secure. I guess this would not work then if a device is on 4.2.1. I don't use Good mainly because I wanted to keep my JB and I also don't want to get work emails on my iPhone. It is strange that Apple would remove the feature since they have every right to try and block people from jailbreaking.

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I think you don't know what that means... most first party applications are free other than iMovie, iWork suite, and anything else made by Apple that costs money. The only second party application that I can think of is Bento, which does indeed cost money. Basically the rest of the App Store is third party, even Jailbroken applications are still third party applications.

12. The Highlander macrumors 6502

I thought the second party was the end user...

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

That's possible. I thought it meant a company that is owned by the first party company.