Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrRugged

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
From all of the pics, I still can’t see how this folio would work if you just want to read or hold the iPad without actually using the keyboard. With the current ASK, it can flip behind the iPad just right but the new one looks like you would be holding the actually keyboard if you folded it behind the iPad.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Yep, I think you are right. I've cancelled my order for the keyboard folio because of this. I'll stick with the non-keyboard folio initially and maybe upgrade later.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
From all of the pics, I still can’t see how this folio would work if you just want to read or hold the iPad without actually using the keyboard. With the current ASK, it can flip behind the iPad just right but the new one looks like you would be holding the actually keyboard if you folded it behind the iPad.

I will work like you're expecting it. In this illustration, purple surface will lay on purple surface, and green will lay on green.
folio.png

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
I think if it folded as you suggest the bottom of the keyboard would stick out past the body of the iPad. The keyboard covers the full front of the iPad but the hinge point you are talking about looks to be more like 35% of the width so that 'sticking out' bit would be around 30% of the width of the device.

Reactions: lawrencejuliano

MrRugged

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
That seems like a really bad design. I can’t believe Apple will have us holding the keys when it is flipped back behind the iPad. I love the ASK but don’t want to have to keep taking it on and off to hold it comfortably.

Reactions: BrianSoCal

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
I think if it folded as you suggest the bottom of the keyboard would stick out past the body of the iPad. The keyboard covers the full front of the iPad but the hinge point you are talking about looks to be more like 35% of the width so that 'sticking out' bit would be around 30% of the width of the device.

I did the math, it will fold flat and the keyboard will be covered. Keep in mind you have the length of the “hinge”. Just align the purple and green above.

That seems like a really bad design. I can’t believe Apple will have us holding the keys when it is flipped back behind the iPad. I love the ASK but don’t want to have to keep taking it on and off to hold it comfortably.

It’s not a bad design! Look at my diagram.

MrRugged

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
Yeah but when it is flipped back behind the iPad, I’ll be holding a bunch of keys from the keyboard since that will be facing out. The current ASK has it hidden so it’s a smooth holding surface. That’s my problem with this.

Reactions: RevTEG

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
The dimensions on the diagram don’t seem to line up...

That’s because I made the diagram in about 11 seconds with Snagit, just to show the fold pattern, not the exact lengths of purple/green.

Yeah but when it is flipped back behind the iPad, I’ll be holding a bunch of keys from the keyboard since that will be facing out. The current ASK has it hidden so it’s a smooth holding surface. That’s my problem with this.

Keyboard won’t face out.

Reactions: Mackilroy

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
No keyboard for me!

I use my iPad mostly in my lap and an attached keyboard will suck. I have been using the on screen keyboard for years now and it work fine for me. I bought the Folio case which should suit my needs.

Looks like it is held by magnets only as it does wrap around a hold onto the edges like previous cases. I have ordered the 11” with the smart case folio and hope it works. I got a box full of old 3rd party cases that all sucked for the 10.5. Hoping Apple got this right.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
As a Surface Pro owner, I can confirm holding the keys is super annoying. If I’m using the SP as a tablet I rip the keyboard off because I can’t stand the feel of the keys. I suspect I’ll do the same here.
[doublepost=1541020716][/doublepost]
That’s because I made the diagram in about 11 seconds with Snagit, just to show the fold pattern, not the exact lengths of purple/green.

Right, but that’s a real pic of the iPad and keyboard, and the sections on the actual device don’t line up.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Right, but that’s a real pic of the iPad and keyboard, and the sections on the actual device don’t line up.

Here's the purple/green lines to scale. Looks like the spacebar might poke out a bit when folio folded flat? That would be very un-Apple-like.
folio2.png

Last edited:

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
Here's the purple/green lines to scale. Looks like the spacebar might poke out a bit when folio folded flat? That would be very un-Apple-like.
View attachment 800052
I’m also not sure the keyboard part bends between the purple and green sections. It would make it pretty unstable in the lap of it did.

EDIT: I see you mean the purple part in the back would fold all the way up, so no need for the keyboard to fold. That seems awkward at best, and yeah, the space key would sit below. Not ideal.

I suppose we’ll know in a week (or less).

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
I’m also not sure the keyboard part bends between the purple and green sections. It would make it pretty unstable in the lap of it did.

Right, the keyboard "base" doesn't bend there. Just line up the purple/green lines.

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
As much as I want this to be true, it just doesn't seem right that the keyboard will rest against the bare iPad (green to green). Also wouldn't the purple make for a "triple layer" where as the keyboard on bare iPad would be double layer? Though I suppose this is how the original ASK seems to be...

I would be very disappointed to have to return my Keyboard folio for this reason, but I would do it in a heartbeat if necessary.

Thank you for making the image BeatCrazy! Perhaps I am just being slow, and not seeing how it will work quite yet...still staring at it haha!

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK

EDIT: I see you mean the purple part in the back would fold all the way up, so no need for the keyboard to fold. That seems awkward at best, and yeah, the space key would sit below. Not ideal.

I’m 99% certain it doesn’t (i.e. the front is on solid piece). The joints are quite apparent and are thin, flexible segments. The keyboard looks to be a few mm thick at it’s thinnest point.

Also, is it just me or do the product shots take great care not to show what the front looks like closed? The non-keyboard folio has clear shots of both front and back, in contrast.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
As much as I want this to be true, it just doesn't seem right that the keyboard will rest against the bare iPad (green to green). Also wouldn't the purple make for a "triple layer" where as the keyboard on bare iPad would be double layer? Though I suppose this is how the original ASK seems to be...

I would be very disappointed to have to return my Keyboard folio for this reason, but I would do it in a heartbeat if necessary.

Thank you for making the image BeatCrazy! Perhaps I am just being slow, and not seeing how it will work quite yet...still staring at it haha!

Try this:
Line up 1->1 and 2->2. Yeah, you're right about the triple layer part. Hmmmmm.....
folio3.png

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
I’ve found two pics showing the folio enclosing the iPad and one folded.

D88EB750-B6D9-4053-9005-4E293E2F7F04.jpeg

41C29C1B-1069-4015-9554-83B92A7F452B.jpeg

The first pic is where the keyboard is facing in towards the screen.

When flipped to the other side, it does seem like the keyboard will be facing out. Very un-Apple like.

Reactions: artfossil

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida

View attachment 800063

View attachment 800062

When flipped to the other side, it does seem like the keyboard will be facing out. Very un-Apple like.
Correct. See this still from Apple's video. I'll reserve judgment about whether it's Apple-like until I use it. :)

Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 6.25.38 PM.png

kappisto

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2009
I don't know why this is so confusing. Look at the back hinge - it's long enough to wrap around the edge of the ipad. The entire keyboard sits against the screen when closed, it doesn't weirdly fold around the back.

Check the images here: https://www.apple.com/smart-keyboard/

Just underneath "Available starting 11.17" on the left, it shows the iPad from the top down, with the screen facing downward. You can tell because the sleep wake button is on the top next to a speaker, and the volume buttons are visible on the right. The keyboard is clearly against the glass.

Check the image here of the keyboard cover closed: https://store.storeimages.cdn-apple...t=jpeg&qlt=80&op_usm=0.5,0.5&.v=1540504903161

The edges are flush with the top and sides - no weird overlap, no visible folding.

I think everyone here is overthinking it too much today :D

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
I think everyone here is overthinking it too much today :D

The issue:

We know for sure the keys will face out when the folio is folded around like a magazine cover. What we're debating is if you can slide the iPad "forward" towards the keyboard's spacebar and have the keys face inwards.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016

View attachment 800063

View attachment 800062

Ewww, it never occurred to me that there would be any problem with folding it back, never been the case with the ASK. Pretty big negative.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I don’t like the new design and cost so I decided to just use my Apple Bluetooth keyboard at the office and roll with the standard folio, which I really like the look of.

Reactions: bhodinut

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
Keep in mind for right handers, the ledge will allow you to grab it without hitting keys.

Lefties like myself would be forced to either hold the iPad upside down or hold the keys.

Regardless of your dominant hand though, keys could potentially collect debris if the iPad is set down, and that could end up scratching the screen when you fold it back up again.

Needless to say, I now have a simple folio ordered! Coming Friday!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.