How does this happen?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tpcollins, Dec 21, 2015.

1. tpcollins macrumors member

When I look at my wife's iPad, there will be 20+ "sessions" open across the top. I can't figure out how she manages to do that. She used my MacBook Pro the other day so she could print something from her email. Later when I went to use my Mac, there were about 8 sessions available across the top underneath my line of favorites.

What the heck is she doing to get this? When I open a new search, it replaces the one I was on. She opens a new search and it adds to her list at the top. Thanks.

2. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

By "sessions" do you mean tabs opened in Safari?
    On iPad there is a + sign in the top right corner, tap on it and you'll get a new tab.

3. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

yes, thats just her style of browsing. you can have 100's of sessions open at the same time

4. engineerben macrumors regular

engineerben

On lots of sites now when you click on an external link it opens a new tab. I see that on my wife's MBA all the time - she'll have a dozen tabs open and not know how they got there!

5. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

6. tpcollins thread starter macrumors member

Hamilton - does this close them all or prevent them from happening? Do all of these tabs that are open slow the iPad down?

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

In addition to what other people have said above, there are sites that open ads in pop-up windows, which get converted to tabs on the iPad. This can also happen on the Mac, if you have Safari set to open new windows as tabs.

8. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

Seriously? You don't know how browser tabs work?

9. tpcollins thread starter macrumors member

Well Sky, I guess not. When I want to open another tab, I have to right click on Safari for a new window. If I'm on a forum and decide to look at a thread, I right click on it and chose the second line for "Open Link in New Window". I understand this - I don't understand how my wife is able to open up so many - even on my MacBook.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

What's so hard to understand? She probably does it the same way you do. Perhaps you take care to close the tabs after you are done with them, and she just leaves them open.

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Tapping the "+" button is all it takes to open a new tab on Safari - both on the iPad and on the Mac. Right-click not required. And many sites will automatically open a new tab when following certain links, too.

12. tpcollins thread starter macrumors member