How does Time Machine work?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Btom, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Btom macrumors 6502a

OK, so I know the basics, but my questions are:

1. What will happen to my backup and to the backup process, when the backup disc is disconnected from the computer (or powered down) for a day, or two?
    2. How do I know, that the backup copy of a file I didn't access for longer time is not corrupted?

Any insight is appreciated.

Tom B.

2. Btom thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. georgegarrigues macrumors newbie

I couldn't say, but I suppose you could just go back in time to see if any particular file is still where it is supposed to be. Not sure why you should be worried unless you are using an old, decrepit disk for your backups.:confused:

4. Btom thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, this is exactly what I am worrying about (and trying to avoid this priceless "Oops..." moment in the future).

Tom B.

5. georgegarrigues macrumors newbie

You could use two backup disks in some sort of alternating arrangement, storing one of them offsite (maybe in your car) while the other is in use. I am just whistling "Dixie" here because I am no expert — simply throwing ideas at you, I guess. Anyway, be of good cheer.

Sincerely,
    George

6. Btom thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks George,

Time Machine is a very good step in simplifying data backups, but I couldn't find any info on how, or even if integrity of the backup data is verified. Am I missing anything here?
    When I have 500G of pictures, of family videos, I don't revisit them too often, I would like the computer to do it for me (and not breaking the bank in the process).
    Any advice anybody?

Tom B.