Resolved How does Whatsapp backup work?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by aiya_au, Oct 21, 2015.

1. aiya_au macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

How does the Whatsapp backup work? The in-app chat backup I assumes is stored on icloud drive (currently taking up 926 MB). The icloud backup of my whole iphone (settings -> icloud -> storage ->manage storage -> aiya_au's iphone) lists the whatsapp app as 1.3 GB. I'm running out of icloud space and I want to avoid data duplication.

So my question is, am I duplicating my whatsapp chat history on icloud through the app backup and on icloud drive through the in-app chat backup?

Thanks in advance!!

2. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

I'm assuming the messages keep building up and being added to iCloud, or at least that's what it sounds like. Don't know if there's a way to mitigate that buildup or not. I'm as curious as you are! :confused:

3. aiya_au thread starter macrumors newbie

I posted the same question on reddit and got the below reply. It was what i suspected.

"The iCloud backup and having the device backup does duplicate data.

Backing up the phone will back up whatsapp, so if you restored to a new phone even without enabling the inbuilt backup your data would be there.

If you enable the whatsapp iCloud backup you are able to restore your data to a new phone, without performing a full iCloud restore.

Personally I would keep the in built whatsapp backup enabled and untick it from the complete iPhone backup.

I swap my backup often between my two phones using just the built in whatsapp feature, without restoring etc."

4. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

Oh cool, so it has a built in backup! Good to know. Thanks for sharing.