How does wireless syncing music with iTunes work in iOS5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mstruve, Oct 11, 2011.

1. mstruve macrumors regular

The Apple website says: "Every time you connect your iOS device to a power source (say, overnight for charging), it automatically syncs and backs up any new content to iTunes. So you always have your films, TV programmes, home videos and photo albums everywhere you want them."

How do you choose which music in iTunes you want to sync with the device? Does the device pop up in iTunes as soon as it's plugged into a power source, then you go through checking and unchecking and click 'Sync', as usual?

2. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Not sure how it works but I'm sure all your questions will be answered tomorrow.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

It works as if it were connected with the USB cable.

4. Krandor macrumors 6502

Same way you do now. What happens is that even after you disconnct the USB cable, your iPhone still shows up under devices in iTunes. You just check in there what you want to sync just like you would if the cable was connected. The onlly real change is it still shows in iTunes after disconnecting the USB cable.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

Just to add one, no software updates or restores over wifi.

6. mstruve thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info, this sounds like a great update.

Does it take much longer to transfer music/video to the phone over wifi than through the USB cable?

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yes, WiFi is slower to transfer data.

It's quicker though, to transfer a song or a podcast while my phone is in my pocket than to go grab my computer, grab my iPhone, find a cable, plug them in, do a full sync and then transfer the song.

It's a nice feature and the auto-when-plugged-in at night feature is brilliant - my phone and iPad are all good to go in morning when I head off to work.

8. mstruve thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Chundle, does sound like a very nice feature.

By the way, you mention syncing podcasts... I'm not sure why anyone would use iTunes to organise podcasts when you can just use an app like Downcast to subscribe and download them for you, no syncing required. Check it out if you haven't already.

9. TOOFY macrumors regular

It works just as the same way as if you had ur USB cable plugged in - but you dont. Ive been using it since its announcement with beta after beta and its wonderfull. I backup to the cloud only. And Sync via wifi when im home. Its golden.

Fack Android. Fragmented POS.

10. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Since you can update the phone OTA that isn't entirely true. Plus with iCloud backups you could feasibly do restores OTA as well.

In regards to iTunes, you are correct those functions still require the cable.

11. Deamos macrumors member

1) Plug in IOS Device via USB
    2) Open iTunes
    3) Bring up the first tab and check Sync this device via wifi
    4) Sync IOS device via USB
    5) Disconnect IOS Device
    6) iTunes will now keep the device listed.
    7) You can now sync in iTunes or via the option in the phone under Settings.

----------

I also might want to add. I found a bug earlier that sometimes iTunes will deauthorize the IOS device once in awhile.

To Fix:
    1) Plug device in via USB
    2) Uncheck Sync via Wifi
    3) Sync Device
    4) Recheck Sync via wifi
    5) Sync Device