Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Old Skool Gamer

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 11, 2016
I'm experiencing quite a bit of stutter, with regards to iOS animations.

Invoking App Switcher, returning to Home Screen from an app (the icons stutter when "flying" into view), and sometimes there's stutter when opening an app (the animation when the app opens).

I've restored from my Mac, and set up as new.

I'm currently on the latest beta, to give that a go (once again, a completely fresh install & installed everything manually).

When I first installed the beta, everything was silky smooth. I was enjoying the experience that I had expected with this new iPad "Pro". However, the stutter returned.

So, are you experiencing animation stutter/lag on your 9.7" iPad Pro?

If so, where do you primarily see/notice it?

Thanks ...

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I'm experiencing quite a bit of stutter, with regards to iOS animations.

Invoking App Switcher, returning to Home Screen from an app (the icons stutter when "flying" into view), and sometimes there's stutter when opening an app (the animation when the app opens).

I've restored from my Mac, and set up as new.

I'm currently on the latest beta, to give that a go (once again, a completely fresh install & installed everything manually).

When I first installed the beta, everything was silky smooth. I was enjoying the experience that I had expected with this new iPad "Pro". However, the stutter returned.

So, are you experiencing animation stutter/lag on your 9.7" iPad Pro?

If so, where do you primarily see/notice it?

Thanks ...

Not on my own iPad 9.7, but the Apple store ones. Folder animations, control centre, app opening and closing animations all seem to stutter at random times here and there (not constantly, lets say 1 stutter per 3 minutes or so of use. More than enough to be annoying (to me).

Old Skool Gamer

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 11, 2016
Not on my own iPad 9.7, but the Apple store ones. Folder animations, control centre, app opening and closing animations all seem to stutter at random times here and there (not constantly, lets say 1 stutter per 3 minutes or so of use. More than enough to be annoying (to me).

Thanks for the response, Mac.

Is your 9.7" iPad an iPad Pro?

If not, what model is it?

Thanks ...

Old Skool Gamer

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 11, 2016
I don't actually own an iPad Pro 9.7 - My experiences are from playing around with quite a few display models (For extended periods of time) at various Apple stores, all 9.7 iPad Pros.

Thanks for following up.

Do you think it could be that iOS hasn't been optimised for the new 9.7" Pro?

Would you return the Pro, or do you think this issue will be addressed in an iOS update?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks again ...

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Do you think it could be that iOS hasn't been optimised for the new 9.7" Pro?

Would you return the Pro, or do you think this issue will be addressed in an iOS update?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks again ...

Metal, which was introduced for systems animations in iOS 9 is not ready for the limelight in my opinion. Pretty much every single 64 bit iPad I've used in iOS 9 has exhibited stutter at times. i've found it most noticeable on the iPad Air and Mini 2, less so on the iPad Air 2 and the iPad Pros, but its still there.

Can't guarantee in your case of course, but I think that metal will get fixed at some stage, and that will be a software thing, but at the same time, there is always the possibility you do have an issue.

If you live near an Apple store, spend some extended time testing their demo 9.7 inch iPad Pros to see if you can replicate your issues or not.

Reactions: Old Skool Gamer

high3r

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2015
Hungary
I also have occassional stutter with a 9.7 iPad Pro on iOS 9.3.1. Especially tapping on homescreen in the app switcher, the animation tends to stutter. Don't know about the big Pro but it's the same with Air 2. Considering the beefy GPU in the 9.7 Pro it must be an optimisation issue. Even the Air 2's gpu should be more than adequate to render that animation.

Old Skool Gamer

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 11, 2016
There was some slight lag on mine, updated to 9.3.2 and that helped. Should only get better with more beta's.

Agreed.

I restored on my Mac (again!) then reinstalled all of my apps manually.

Lag.

I then installed the beta.

Lag.

THEN I reset all settings (with the beta & all of my apps installed) and this 9.7" Pro is very smooth, now.

This is how it should have been, out of the box.

Hopefully things will get even better with future beta updates & full releases.

Try Reset Settings (from the General section of the Settings app) and see if it makes your iPad smoother.

Enjoy ...

Reactions: djvidi

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I also have occassional stutter with a 9.7 iPad Pro on iOS 9.3.1. Especially tapping on homescreen in the app switcher, the animation tends to stutter. Don't know about the big Pro but it's the same with Air 2. Considering the beefy GPU in the 9.7 Pro it must be an optimisation issue. Even the Air 2's gpu should be more than adequate to render that animation.
I've noticed that this "App Switcher to Homescreen lag" is DIRECTLY related to the blurred app in the back of the list. Even my iPad mini 2, which is labelled as the "laggiest 64-bit iPad" pretty much by someone else who posted in this thread, renders the App Switcher to Homescreen animation at 60FPS if that app is not there. However, add one more app and its a janky 20-30fps. Enable Reduce Transparency, 60FPS all the way around. iOS 9.3 beta 1 was by far the smoothest version of iOS 9 I have seen yet, iOS 9.3 beta 2 was horrible, worse than iOS 9.0 I would say, and everything from there was better than 9.2.1 but not the same as 9.3 beta 1.

My iPad mini 2 did the app switcher to homescreen animation at 60FPS even when there was a blurred app with beta 1... Everything was perfect pretty much. Just got issues if you tapped the blurred app, graphical artifacts.

It obviously is an issue with iOS. An iPad that powerful should be able to do that at 60FPS lol... I remember 9.2.1 and below, scrolling by the homescreen lagged. Thought my iPad was just too weak.. No. iOS 9.3 rolls along and scrolling is the same FPS through the whole switcher now. Not a perfect FPS but it's workable.

Anyone else notice on Apple TV 4 with the new app switcher, the app cards arent blurred during the in and out of app switcher animations? I think if Apple did this for the iOS animations it would be perfect.

Old Skool Gamer

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 11, 2016
I've noticed that this "App Switcher to Homescreen lag" is DIRECTLY related to the blurred app in the back of the list. Even my iPad mini 2, which is labelled as the "laggiest 64-bit iPad" pretty much by someone else who posted in this thread, renders the App Switcher to Homescreen animation at 60FPS if that app is not there. However, add one more app and its a janky 20-30fps. Enable Reduce Transparency, 60FPS all the way around. iOS 9.3 beta 1 was by far the smoothest version of iOS 9 I have seen yet, iOS 9.3 beta 2 was horrible, worse than iOS 9.0 I would say, and everything from there was better than 9.2.1 but not the same as 9.3 beta 1.

My iPad mini 2 did the app switcher to homescreen animation at 60FPS even when there was a blurred app with beta 1... Everything was perfect pretty much. Just got issues if you tapped the blurred app, graphical artifacts.

It obviously is an issue with iOS. An iPad that powerful should be able to do that at 60FPS lol... I remember 9.2.1 and below, scrolling by the homescreen lagged. Thought my iPad was just too weak.. No. iOS 9.3 rolls along and scrolling is the same FPS through the whole switcher now. Not a perfect FPS but it's workable.

Anyone else notice on Apple TV 4 with the new app switcher, the app cards arent blurred during the in and out of app switcher animations? I think if Apple did this for the iOS animations it would be perfect.

Hey, buddy.

I appreciate the lengthy response.

It's also nice to hear people actually admitting that this is an issue (if I was to post this exact "query" in the iPad forum, I'd be burned alive by the fanboys for speaking of their iPads in such a way!).

However, the my tip in my post above. It has made a huge difference! My iPad Pro is now much more fluid.

Let me know how you get on, if you try it.

All the best ...

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
My iPad Pro seems okay to me. Maybe I am simply not looking out for such stuff, but otherwise, performance on my iPad has been great. Apps open and load quickly, and everything just flies.

Old Skool Gamer

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 11, 2016
My iPad Pro seems okay to me. Maybe I am simply not looking out for such stuff, but otherwise, performance on my iPad has been great. Apps open and load quickly, and everything just flies.

I wasn't "looking out for such stuff" either.

It was patently obvious ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.