How does your job motivate you

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by OscarTheGrouch, Jun 19, 2008.

1. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

Ours thinks its motivational to tell us how much we suck, and are least best in our company for what we do. then they proceed to tell us how good we WERE last year.

Yeah "you suck" meetings work wonders.

2. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

It doesn't motivate me. A person can only truly motivate themselves. They can however, tear you down.

3. ryan200 macrumors newbie

we are motivated with the fear of being fired as there is no union.

that or to avoid getting yelled at for doing something wrong or not before the deadline.

this does not motivate some people.

as the other guy said you can only truly motivate yourself.

4. jvencius macrumors regular

I am motivated to do my job because of every other Friday.

5. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

My pay directly reflects how hard and efficiently I work. I am paid a percentage of how much my truck makes. I waste fuel, I make less money. the more miles I run the more money I make. The fixed costs never change so the more I go the bigger my portion gets.

Can't get any better motivation than that!

There are days where it is hard to get going, like yesterday(400 miles) and days where the only thing that stops me is the laws i run under, like today(625 miles).

6. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Q: How does your job motivate you?
    A: It pays.

7. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Knowing that what I do helps keep my country safer and helps to save lives is motivation enough.

8. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

And that is the ultimate answer.

9. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

My job is currently motivating me to find another job........ :mad:

10. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

11. djellison macrumors 68020

Well - I go and film medical procedures and edit videos to make DVD's or Web pages, or make animations about medical procedures, that then go out to trainee doctors, so they can learn better and faster and make better doctors, so they can do a better job of looking after patients.

It's a roller-coaster ride ( getting a medical professional to specifiy IT related material is a nightmare ) but the 'big picture satisfaction' is off the scale.

Not too many people can say they spent a monday morning watching a kidney being removed for a donor transplant.

12. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

13. saxman macrumors 6502

I teach music at a university. Two things motivate me:

1) My intrinsic desire to create the best music I can
    2) Guiding my students to complete their goals

My employer, the university, actually has very little affect on my desire to be a good musician and teacher. Although I am a professional musician, I make more money teaching than performing - but I love doing both

14. mpw Guest

It motivates me to buy a paper every night and turn first to the job section.

15. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i like it when I spar withs omeone, then work with them for two months or so almost on a daily basis, and then I'll spar thema gaina nd see how much they have improved, lots of satisfaction everytime they get a punch or good kick on me...at my other "regular" job, only wheni get pay raises do i get a bit of motivation...

16. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I feel like that sometimes. Warm brandy helps.

17. The Doctor macrumors member

The Doctor

that's about it for me... i started a new job 2 weeks ago after moving across the country... my new job is so boring... i look at the internet pretty much for the entire 8 hours... i cant wait to find a more rewarding job.

18. Queso macrumors G4

I put all my effort into looking for the elegant solution.

Elegance is the perfect way to know when something is right. If the solution shines quality it puts a big smile on my face, and the best thing is whilst I'm there enjoying myself creating all this technical beauty, people seem to keep paying me :)

19. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

If you need motivation from your employer to work, perhaps you should find another employer.

20. mpw Guest

It's weird how often you can look at something and see it just doesn't look 'right', and then find it doesn't work that well; and how often something will look 'right' and will work perfectly.

I worked with a very talented engineer and he would often finish a steelwork drawing in CAD and then view the model, only to find it didn't look right. So he'd go back over his work and more often than not by fixing how it looked he could get (the already checked and verified as acceptable) calculations for stresses etc. even better.

^don't know if that makes sense, but I'm amazed how nature/physics can find the most elegant solutions.

21. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

It doesn't, that's why I resigned.

New job starting 7/7.

And of course the only think that motivates me at this juncture of my life is of course money.

22. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers