How does youtube run for everyone?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by beck, May 11, 2008.

1. beck macrumors member

When I watch youtube the video often jerks slighlty, i.e. misses .5 seconds. the video can be fully buffered, and my computer isn't doing anything else yet every so often it will skip slightly, often with fast movements on screen.

Is it because macs don't like flash? or is it me?

(ive got a mbp c2d 2.16 2gb ram)

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I'm running an iMac 24" with Leopard and I never have problems with flash on YouTube, always plays videos perfectly.

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

4. KompleX macrumors regular

when going full screen the video will sometimes freeze for two seconds. this isn't really an issue since it seldom happens. also, i did get a frame skip once... no biggie.

5. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

I'm using a 2.2GHz MacBook Pro with 2GB RAM and YouTube performance isn't that great. Similar situation: fully buffered movie and nothing else running. Some videos are okay, others can be choppy. Maybe it's on YouTube's end.

6. aldog macrumors regular

The only time mine shows any lag is when I go and open 15+ videos at the same time, which happens quite often, but that's reasonable.
    I even have a greasemonkey script that loads the video at 1.5x original size and chooses the highest quality available and still no real lag.
    [​IMG]

mbp 2.4, 2gb ram, 10.5.2

7. jons macrumors 6502

I think it would help if you told us what kind of mac you are running it on. I mean, if it's like an old B+W G3, then we will know where the problem is. If it's a current Mac Pro, then it's definitely something different. :)

- js

8. beck thread starter macrumors member

hmmm its a macbook pro c2d 2.16ghz 2gb ram (got it about 16 months ago) running lepoard. At the moment i'm mainly using firefox, (2&3, prefer 3 but need google gears quite alot so somtimes im using 2)

I have a theory my hard drive gets a bit boged down some times, its 5400rpm, somtimes it seems to be spinning like crazy with not many applications running. So i was planning on upgrading it to somthing bigger and faster this summer.

9. mrwindup macrumors member

10. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

Mine is a bit juttery every so often when you want to move to a certain part in that video.

But that my really crappy ISP - AOL. OMFG don't go there. It's bad, it's all kinds of horribleness. If you want slow speeds and long term frustration, then AOL is just for you.

11. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

Try it with another browser and see if the same thing happens. Come on, guys, scientific method!

12. dylandmcleod macrumors newbie

dylandmcleod

Rep

if it doesn't buffer in time let it load, or upgrade to broadband;)