Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FatDaddy 64.5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
Im in Graphic Design school and Im going to be taking out some student loans to get me my first Mac. Im planning on getting a MBP (Hopefully the new on after the WWDC). I know everything about Rosetta and CS2 will run slower on my new Mac. But how much slower am I looking at? Has anyone really notice any significant slowdown using these programs running under Rosetta? I know Ram is a issue so I plan on getting 1 or 2 GB. Will I be okay doing simple Photoshop editing, rotation layers ect. What about InDesign? Is it going to be absolute Hell trying to work on these programs. Im looking for anybody that uses these programs very intensely on the new Intel Macs to see if they can live with it and be happy. Any information would be helpful before I further myself into debt on my first Mac. But then again anything would be faster that the crapy computer I have at home(PC Pentium III 733 MGz 256 MB Ram). Thanks.

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
I have not used those on an Intel mac because I don't have one yet. But I know a lot of people who have.

Adobe wont run as fast as it will once it's on intel, but it will pretty much run like it's on a Powerbook G4 if not a little bit faster. Once CS3 comes out (Q1) pick it up, and you will see that CS3 runs faster.

For what your doing, it wont be a problem. People who use photoshop 10 hours a day, might see it as a problem.

Hope it helps.

d wade

macrumors 65816
Jun 27, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
i have CS and it does take a little bit to load on my intel, but nothing terrible. once its up, it is a little slower, but nothing too drastic

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I agree with 7on. While not blazingly fast, it's much faster on my MBP that on my 1GHz TiPB. Of course, since it runs on Rosetta, performance will be largely impacted by the amount of RAM available. I haven't done any head-to-head comparisons of a Intel Mac with a G5.

I don't think there's been any official announcements of the Universal CS3 application release dates, but those will obviously improve performance on the Intel Macs.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
I find the Adobe stuff launches very slow on the Intel machines, but once it's up and running, it's about the same on the new laptops as it ran on a 1GHz G4 PowerBook.

And as someone said, when CS3 comes out, it will probably blow away any of the G4/G5 processors, so look towards the future...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.