How durable are the 12.9" iPads long term?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by placidity44, May 17, 2016.

1. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

i just got an iPad Pro and I got AppleCare Plus as well because I can't use cases. I've never dropped a phone or anything but I got that for peace of mind in case. My question was how durable are they and are they prone to bending or not?

2. jmeas macrumors regular

jmeas

It'll probably bend if you sit on it. I just keep mine on a desk or table if I'm not using it. I've had a 12.9" since the day they were out, and mine's still in perfect condition. I don't use a case or anything aside from a smart cover.

I always make sure to put it smart cover down so that the back doesn't get scratches :)

3. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

Same here... except I use clear Con-Tact paper on the back to protect against scratches and for better grip.

4. Rocket Man macrumors member

Makes for a wonderful food tray, frisbee place to put **** on top of etc. Apple hit a home run with this one

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I think the iPhone 6 Plus bend issues were discovered when people put them in their front pockets and then sat down. Obviously that isn't going to happen with the iPad. However, I could see a situation if you put it in your bag along with, say, a thick book, where you might end up in trouble. But I think if common sense is used you'll be OK. Treat it like what you paid for it and I'm betting the exterior will long outlast the interior.

6. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I got my 12.9 as soon as I could after they came out. It has a screen protector on it and resides in a Pen & Quill case. No problems at all, and I use it and carry it with me most of the time.

7. jmeas macrumors regular

jmeas

This is a great point. I'd definitely make sure to get a padded backpack for it if you plan to carry it that way. Mine is pretty much homebound, so I don't worry about this too much.

8. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

I have my iPad Pro in smart case with the smart keyboard. Always on my desk or lap (if I'm on the couch).

9. Mr.C macrumors 601

Why can't you use cases ?

10. bluermlou macrumors member

Had one since launch day. Only used the Smart Keyboard cover up until recently, but then added the silicone case as I'm using it now a lot for remote access to work when I'm at satellite offices. Didn't want to worry about getting the back scratched when it's not at home. It's still in great shape!

11. placidity44 thread starter macrumors 6502

placidity44

Over the years I must've spent close to 1500 on cases. I got a 70 dollar life proof and just ripped it off. They make me angry for some reason. So I just get applecare and call it a day. My only concern is bending given the size. I realize the whole bend thing is extremely overblown. Also if I were to accidentally drop it and it shatters, the deductible is 49 plus tax right? You get it hoping you never have to use it but I was just curious.