How durable are the Etymotic ER-6i headphones?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by CBell, May 20, 2008.

1. CBell macrumors regular

I had the Sennheiser CX300 and never did anything to them and a little over 1 month after I got them, they broke. And I don't have the receipt, so I'd have to pay to have them fixed. So now I'm looking for another pair, and when I bought the Sennheiser I was debating between them or the Etymotic.

The worst thing I ever did to the Sennheiser is to wrap them around my Touch. I didn't even wrap them tightly, just enough so that they would stay wrapped around it.

2. CBell thread starter macrumors regular

3. Apple-Man23 macrumors regular

very good

ok i've had my er-6i's for quite a while now close to three years to be exact and they are marvelous!! they are also fairly durable as long as you are not abusive with them. there are but two problems that i had with them. 1st off when i first got mine they didn't fit right as they came with standard sized ear tips, my ears are on the small side so i had to go online and buy new tips, but once i corrected that problem they fit like a glove. the only other problem is that they have filters to stop ear wax from getting into the earphones, and occasionally (maybe twice a year depending on usage) these filters will need to be changed. However changing them is quite simple and easy to do. I would recomend them 100% to you and if you have any other questions i'll try my best to answer them!!!

4. cakbar macrumors regular

ER6i's are my every day headphones with my iPods. The sound quality is very good (if you like the Ety signature sound), the isolation is great and they are far stronger than the flimsy looking cord suggests. It can take a while to find the best tips for 'your' ears, but once you do, they are extremely comfortable.
    One tip though. Make sure that you have the volume limit on your touch set to well below the maximum. The Etys don't need much power and a stray finger turning up the volume can be pretty painful.

5. darrellishere macrumors 6502

They are all thats written above, great-Amazing! A different league form the cx300. Although expect a more accurate base. Not overblown like the cx300's.
    cord and structure strong. however the head phone jack on the black model is so frustrating, and pops out everytime I my iphone in my pocket. Get the white ones with the specific white ipod stile jack! (resessed) Wish and wish I did! ;)

6. David G. macrumors 65816

These headphones are the best $80 I have ever spent. Seriously.

7. Echinda macrumors regular

I've had ER-4Ss for about 4 years. Awesome ear-canal headphones - perhaps the best ever made. If you can afford the jump in price from the ER6s they are well worth it.

One downside that hasn't been mentioned are the telephonics from the cord. I'm not sure if the ER6s have the same beefy cord as the ER4s, but it transmits every bump and tap to your ears. Makes them inappropriate for any active use.

8. Tmacfan4321 macrumors regular

The Er6i's are amazing, way better than any other headphone I have ever owned.

9. uraniumwilly macrumors 6502

I've owned the pro-level model for about 4-5 years. They've performed flawlessly.