How durable are the MBP's fans?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chiuy, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Chiuy macrumors 6502

I've been doing some hard core rendering on Adobe Premiere and some games sometimes and the MBP gets extremely hot, up to 200°F. I downloaded SMCFan and crack it up to 4000RPM whenever it gets too hot and I let it to be on 4000RPM for 6 hours or so everyday for the past month.

Hopefully, the fans are durable enough to survive a long time?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yes they should be fine. If after years of this continuous use they fail, and its still under warranty/AppleCare, Apple will fix it for you.

3. Young Spade macrumors 68020

What are those temps in C? Just a heads up, when posting temperatures most people post in Celsius as it's easier to get a read in "real life" scenarios.

If that's around 80 degrees C, then you should be fine; running smcFan control is great but as long as the temperatures stay below 90 degrees Celsius, you don't have to run them any extra.

4. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

4000? I had my 2009 macbook pro's fans on 5200 (or 6200, i had it on maximum anyway) for ~12hours a day almost every day for a year. Don't worry , especially if you don't have them at the max speed :cool:

5. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

I have an early 2008 17" MBP and I do a lot of CPU killing simulation and model building. The fans started making noise at around 13 months and I had them replaced under Apple Care. My co-worker with the identical machine had his replaced at 18 months. Personally, I think Apple got a bad batch of fans at some point. The replacement fans have not had any problems.

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

OS X's Calculator can convert temperature (as well as a bunch of other things) just input the number into Calculator then go to Convert on the menu bar and choose Temperature... and then From: Fahrenheit To: Celsius and it will give you the result on the Calculator display...in this case, 93.333333333333341° Celsius.

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I think most people post in Celsius because those that do are from Europe. Most people I know from the US, like myself, measure temperature in Fahrenheit. For me, reading a Celsius temp is like trying to read Egyptian Hieroglyphics. I use the Convert app on my iPhone to figure the temp conversions.

His temps of 200F are 93C and are getting close to the top end before shutdown will occur. About another 25-35 degrees warmer I think and it will take care of itself.

8. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Lol no I understand, however when concerning electronics, I think Celsius is easier to read and relate to. People generally know that 100 degrees C is boiling water. Well here you should keep your computer within that 90 degrees C range or you might have some throttling and shutdown to prevent overheating.

I'm in the states and I know we use Fahrenheit, however when you read 214 degrees vs 219 vs 220 and so on, the numbers... well you're going to cover a wider range, which frankly makes it harder for people to gauge whether it's important or not.

It's the inside of a computer, there isn't much difference between 221 and 219, however for us, there is a big difference between 77 and 74.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that specific temp drops within a small range don't really matter as much, and as a result it's easier to just relay those temps in celsius.

I mean it doesn't really matter, just explaining why I said that. I rarely, if ever, see temps posted in F on ANY forum anymore.

9. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I know; it's a lot faster to just type it into my address bar and have it converted. I was just stating, for future reference, that a lot of people post their temps in C. The above post elaborates.

Just offering my opinion; by no means am I telling him to do either/or.