How durable are the MBP's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 251920, Sep 25, 2009.

1. 251920 macrumors member

It that I just noticed a tiny(mini-micron sized:))piece chipped off or scratch on my MBP that's about 2-3 weeks old.
    I mean how easy is it to scratch Macbook Pros and etc in every day use?

2. lunari macrumors member

lunari

I've had mine for a few months now, pretty heavily used (~4-6 hours everyday) and it has maybe two small scratches on the bottom from sliding it over on an uneven surface. Then again, it is always transported in a padded bag. If you take care of it you shouldn't have any problems.

3. lunari macrumors member

lunari

Btw, that includes my boss sliding it out of the way and into a metal fan a few times, no scratches from that! :)

4. tooz macrumors 6502

i have a few scratches, but that's from the locker door at school, stuff sitting on top, and general abuse.

If my mac was a child, I think i would have social service onto me :p

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Aluminum is very beautiful but very delicate. If you don't take care of it, you will see it.

6. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Had my MBP for a few months right now and I've been taking care of it and it looks brand new still.

Although today in class I put my MBP in its incase sleeve and was putting it in my backpack which was on the ground and it slipped out of my hand 2-3 inches above the ground and it fell and I heard a thump, I thought it would be dented a little but it wasnt, the padded edges on the incase sleeve must of helped :eek:

7. Bigabouli macrumors member

I'm afraid the aluminium is prode to dents/scratches

I've scratched mine my dropping the magsafe end (not the power brick lol) on my mac :(

8. prodigee macrumors 6502a

Much like many laptops, if you treat it like garbage, it will eventually look like garbage, I must admit in my month of owning my uMBP 13" I have not once scratched or dented it, and all I do is keep it in an incase sleeve when I move it, haven't dropped it from a height (nor do I plan to) but I have to see a dent appear. I really think that it is a wonderful machine and really can take the normal wear and tear alot better than that of the white polycarbonate machine. I really like my MBP and I would say that it does indeed hold up better than most, and really is a sleek sexy machine.

9. SmugMac macrumors regular

I don't treat my MacBook Pro in any special way. It's far more scratch proof than I imagined. So for me the MBP is very durable and good for use while travelling.

10. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Its pretty durable, much more than any plastic crap from Toshiba and Dell.. Mine has a few tiny scratches on the bottom, and one bigger one on the top case (I put the macbook on a tiled floor, then nudged it with my foot to move it a few centimeters to the right, but unfortunately it wasnt turned base down... :( )
    However, since I bought a laptop sleeve for it I have had no scratches, and no dents either.

11. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

I got wasted and dumped a glass of wine(red, if it matters) in the keyboard. Needless to say, the UMP didn't stand up to it...

12. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I only have a very little scratch on the bottom of mine and I have had it since July. I find that the scratchs occur when being too careful. My MBP slipped of my bed and fell 2 feet onto a wooden floor and hit the metal bed frame on the way down but its still fine and no scratchs or dents occured from that.

13. superlatic macrumors regular

Has anyone had any issues re the hinges?

I was in the apple store manchester the other day having a look at some of the macbook pros, the hinges seemed quite sturdy on the 13" one but the 15" one seemed a little loose

14. prodigee macrumors 6502a

I personally have not had a single issue with the hinges, the only thing I have heard about the hinges is that some people have clicking hinges, it doesn't affect anything it just clicks.

The reason the 15's appear looser is that the screen weighs more (duh) and it just tilts easier, my buddy has a 15" and really the only time the screen moves on its on is when the keyboard is help perpendicular to the floor and the screen closes, and even then my 13" uMBP does the same thing, so really you have nothing to worry about.

15. Bigabouli macrumors member

That sucks, i usually have my MBP on for music while having friends over for drinks. there have been some close calls...

16. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

I use an ipod docked to the stereo and tv because of this.