How durable are the new ipods on the back

Discussion in 'iPod' started by matttrick, Sep 10, 2007.

1. matttrick macrumors 6502

I know on my older ipod, the whole silver finish on the back was a terrible terrible "feature" after one day. they collect tons of fingerprints, and scratched to hell even if you take superb care of them.

are the new ones the same junk? i thought apple wised up and got rid of that... why did they go back?

2. storage macrumors 6502

As far as I've understood the new ones suffer from the problem as well.

I don't know what people do with their iPods to get those scratches, though. I've had my 5.5G for almost a year, and I only have a few minor scratches on the back, and no scratches at all on the front.

3. thebrain74 macrumors regular

4. matttrick thread starter macrumors 6502

thats really a shame. i am very careful with all of my gadgets. but the back of those things are super fragile. i have never had a single scratch on any of my screens, and the only place they go is in my pocket, never with anything else in there.

still i got those light scratches alllll over my first ipod. i was so happy when they changed the finish on the original minis. now weve gone backwards :mad:

5. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Same back. I was kind of hoping that since the front is a textured metal, the back would be too. No dice.

6. nimicus macrumors newbie

What's wrong with adding some character to your iPod? There's no skin, invisi-shield, case, or anything that is going to prevent an item to show some wear and tear. Will the back be scratch prone? Yup. Will it matter? Nope. Will it still play music? Yup.

7. flying dog macrumors newbie

Cover it in clear packing tape. No more scratches. I'm doing that until cases for the new models come out.

The front seems MUCH less scratch-prone than my old 3g, for what it's worth.