How "Durable" are the new MB/MBP's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by g-boac, Oct 15, 2008.

1. g-boac macrumors 6502

The old-gen MBP's were absolutely notorious for denting pretty much just by touching them.

How easily do the new ones that Apple repeatedly claims are "durable" dent? Are they just as bad as the previous ones? I handle my current (previous gen) MBP with kid gloves and don't carry it anywhere without an incase soft sleeve - and it still got dented, just from me holding it by the edge while trying to pull it out of the sleeve.

Are the unibody aluminium MB/MBP's this delicate?

Mark

2. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

I got the MBP 2.53 ghz machine... this thing aint denting. Its pretty dang solid.

3. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

I don't know how you've been touching your MacBook Pro but mine's been to festivals, on Motorcycle camping trips and pretty much everywhere with me, on a day-to-day basis, for the last 2 1/2 years.

It has not had an easy life and yet it's hardly got a scratch and definitely no dents.

From my practical experience as an engineer with CNC machined aluminium components, I'd say that the new structures will be considerably stronger than the old and, if the glass is as tough as that in the iPhone, then the new books ought to be real tough muthas!

4. Boblister macrumors 6502a

Seems fine to me. Similar to my old Powerbook G4. Not dented the new one so far, but it's only 5 hours old :)

5. g-boac thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the posts so far - pls keep them coming.

BBPlayer - honestly, handled very carefully. . .the thing buckled like a pop (soda) can. Very disappointing. But the purpose here is not to bash the old aluminum books, but to get a feel for the new ones.

regards,
    Mark

6. steffi macrumors 6502a

Yes it's stronger and yes it will dent and when you want to replace the part because of cosmetic damage it's going to cost a whole lot more.

7. DubbleDuecer macrumors member

what about the glass screen?

With the old screens they were somewhat plyable, they would bend and give a little without cracking, with this new glass screen, is it going to crack really easy?

8. Jollins macrumors regular

Jollins

I doubt it. Mine feels pretty solid, plus glass can be made to be able to flex a little.

9. Companion cube macrumors newbie

Ofc we are going to see notorious cracked MBP screens in a few months, some people treat their computers like crap. But no it wont break "easily".

10. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

Got to play with a new one side by side with the old one at my local Apple Store... the difference in feel is significant. Much more solid. Like a larger Air.

That said my Penryn has held up really well over the past 7 months, not a scratch/dent. I treat it well but have done things like carry it in a backpack riding my motorcycle, inserted/removed from a sleeve at least a few dozen times.

11. g-boac thread starter macrumors 6502

I have seen it for myself...

I went to the Apple Store and physically handled both the new MacBook and new MacBook Pro. I also handled them side by side with the existing 17" MBP. The new Al MB & MPB's feel SIGNIFICANTLY more solid and more durable than the old MBP's!!! They feel stiffer when pushing and squeezing on the lid and bottom, as well as torsionally stiffer (twisting each end in a different direction). Compared to the old MBP where if you simply push on the lid, you can see it deflecting, the new MB/MBP doesn't go anywhere.

With that said, I'm sure that with enough abuse you can damage it, but overall, it feels "solid", and "hard", rather than "thin" like a pop can, as the old MBPs did.

Note that the MB Air lid still feels "thin", like the old MBPs. But I am very, very excited about the new aluminum MB and MBP lines.

Mark

12. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

The old one is better....

See the old Macbook Pro had the Saturn car dentable parts and this new one is a unibody so you can't just replace that. :p

Seriously, unibody should be an improvement to the sturdiness of the unit.

If a notebook is dented, I would venture the user did the denting. People talk like the laptop is responsible. :p