How durable are the UMB?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Skydiver32, May 19, 2009.

1. Skydiver32 macrumors member

I've been reading how ultra careful some people are with their Macbooks, even their plugs :confused:

I, on the other hand, start very carefully, but within a couple of weeks the actual me comes out, and that is one rough SOB. Laptops usually go unprotected in my bookback , which is often dropped or swung in the trunk of a car. More than once my laptops have taken flight as someone tripped on the power cord ... You get the idea

All my computers have lasted a few years, so it's not like I'm deliberately trying to kill it.
    Can Macs take the abuse?

2. JRob65a6 macrumors regular

JRob65a6

Unibody Mac Books have a magnetic power connector that connects to the computer. So I seriously dont think your going to hurt it there. There aren't any prongs or anything of that nature to bend unlike some of the pc notebooks. I had the same issue with my dog running into the power cord and pulling it out or taking the computer down. I don't have that problem now. It comes right out. It doesn't just fall out but if the amount of force pulling could drag the mac book it will release.

As far as the abuse, well, they will take just as much abuse if not more. Plastic versus aluminum........ Scratching and denting will be the major concern. That and if you do manage to break it, I hope you have the cash to fork out (mainly thinking of the screen). But I love the aluminum body. It seems to stay cooler.

As for the older Macbooks, They're no different than any other laptop I wouldn't think but I've never owned one. The Unibodies are the ***** though.

3. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Well, one thing is for dang sure... they'll last at least 7 months! :D guaranteed!

4. MedHead macrumors regular

Funny I was worried about the same thing when I got mine, that said 3 months in its still going strong without a scratch or dent on it *touches wood*.

I keep mine in a crumpler sleeve which is then usually thrown into my backpack, its been knocked around (in the sleeve and bag) a bit and its still perfect.

Once you're not totally careless with it its not going to get damaged, if you're worried about scratches while its in your bag google Zagg's invisible shield, people seem really happy with it.

5. genmic macrumors regular

Apple has thought about power cord tripping, but they are not building durable computers. Even the new "unibody" structure isn't going to prevent dents and scratches. Aluminum is just too soft. Buy a carbon-fiber Sony. They're ugly anyways so you won't be as concerned.

6. kkim0228 macrumors newbie

No, the new aluminum body is NOT any durable than other laptop bodies. Sure, the aluminum unibody feels sturdy by touch because it has less flex. That means when you lift the laptop by holding onto one edge, you'll see less bend.

However, that does not mean it's resilient; actually you have to baby it more than plastic laptops. Once you ding/warp the aluminum body, it'll stay that way, unlike plastic bodies that'll spring back to its original form.
    I've seen numerous horror stories regarding dropping unibodies; for instance, the hinge area is particularly week to pressure, and you can end up with a laptop that squeaks/scratches every time you open/close with a single drop. I personally dropped an iPod nano to my open uMBP from about 10 inches high and it left a permanent dent right below my speaker grill. Now that's WEAK. The shells are so freaking expensive to replace too.

The bottom line is that Apple makes pretty computers, not robust computers, despite their advertisement. You'll be really sorry if you treat a unibody the way you currently treat your laptop (i.e. slinging your bag with the laptop inside). Look at Thinkpads or Vaios (carbon fiber ones) if you want strong laptops. My experience tells me Thinkpads are the strongest of laptops (magnesium roll cage inside).

7. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

...they are pretty durable, but nothing like a ToughBook - but who wants to go back to PCs:D

I would buy a sleeve for 25 or 30 buckaroos, and tell yourself that you are ALWAYS going to use it when transporting your MacBook.

I personally feel the polycarbonate was more durable than the Alu Uni. You'd be surprised what the plastic polycarbonate can handle. They were/are great. I want them to come out with the BlackBook again with a slimmer design, led, and newer trackpad...and I'm buyin'!!!

CrackBook:cool:

8. yossim macrumors regular

yossim

I've got a Timbuk2 backpack that I haul my computer around in. it's really nice because the sleeve in the pack holds the computer really tight. I don't take the computer anywhere (out of the house) without it!

9. kkim0228 macrumors newbie

Cannot agree more.

10. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

You should definitely get something to protect it, it is worth spending $50 for a hard protective case for your MacBook. Speck has some really nice ones that would probably help the computer to last a little longer in tough living conditions so to speak.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I wouldn't deliberately abuse your computer if you can help it, but it can take some tough use.

12. philipxz macrumors regular

philipxz

The easiest thing to dent. If you ever had one of those aluminum iPods then you'll know what its like. Won't be pretty for long if you don't baby it. Mine sadly already has two small dents.

13. Burning Radio macrumors regular

me too. Love the look of Polycarbonate still. It's so :apple:

14. Whackintosh macrumors 6502

The poly's definitely seem to be sturdier, even if they don't feel that way when you handle them.