How Durable is Keyboard for Gaming?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RetroGamer360, Sep 23, 2009.

1. RetroGamer360 macrumors member

I started to use my uMBP for some extended World of Warcraft (need to finally get my Warrior past level 21) gaming sessions (2+ hours) and it got me wondering how durable the WASD keys are from a gaming perspective. I know the iMac desktop keyboard handles it fine but was wondering if anyone has any long term experience with the uMBP keyboard. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

XBLA & PSN - RetroGamer360
    World of Warcraft - Dracarion on StormRage Server

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

you will most likely get those keys very nice an polished.

3. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

yeah, they will get nice n polished but nothing will happen to ur keyboard. unless u spill some soda or something on it.

4. darkdream macrumors member

get a separate gaming keyboard... these keyboards suck for gaming.

5. Nate025 macrumors regular

Just closed my account now that I'm recovering from some serious back problems. I've been playing anywhere from 6-12 hour days, 7 days a week, from about December to August. There is absolutely no wear on the mechanisms of my WASD keys, or the rest of my keyboard. This one looks and feels the same as the day I got it - now my keyboard cover is worn pretty on those spots, but the keyboard itself is shiny and spotless. :D

6. RKpro macrumors 6502

The CPU or GPU must be right under the WASD keys, because those keys can get pretty toasty in graphics intensive games. The other side of the keyboard stays much cooler thought, on my machine.

7. bware189 macrumors member

Honestly, I have never had a problem playing any video game with a laptop keyboard and trackpad. WoW especially is just such a simple, easy game. Stick with the trackpad, make some keyshortcuts, get some addons, and play your life away.

The only reason to get a new keyboard is because of the sharp finish on the edges of the MBP. However, it's easy to just get some cloth to support your wrist. Definitely cheaper.

8. kasakka macrumors 68000

It's a problem with many keyboards: the keyboard just can't handle certain key combinations pressed at the same time whereas keyboards meant for gaming can do any keys.

An easy test is to hold both shift keys and type "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog". With my Zboard connected to my PC It works without problems but on my Apple keyboard some of the letters end up missing because it won't handle all the keys. Not that you'd ever use both shift keys but it simply demonstrates the issue. When just regularly typing you won't see this problem which is why keyboard manufacturers skimp on component quality and take shortcuts in design.

9. Sigmund Leon macrumors newbie

re

Im trying to get my hands on a Logitech G15 Keyboard and a Microsoft Sidewinder gaming mouse.

10. darkdream macrumors member

I do not game anymore, but in my hardcore gamging days (middleschool/highschool) I would average 8 hrs a day... and I have had keyboards die on me. Wow depending on which characters you use and how intense of a player you are you will want a keypad and alot more shortcuts.