How durable is the Apple keyboard.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mushrooshi, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Mushrooshi macrumors regular

My Plastic MacBook keyboard has been serving me well since 2007 sans problems. How long has the aluminum Apple keyboard lasted for you?

Please stay on topic

2. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

my 12" powerbook's keyboard has been solid for 5 yrs now. one of the things I have always loved about macs were its keyboards. not only did they look smaller & slicker, but they they were quieter. especially in comparison to pc keyboards circa 1990's. i'm sure my roommate in college would have appreciated this when i was hacking away my college papers during many a late nights. i had a 286 Laser pc w/ a keyboard that made a very audible clicking sound each time i pressed a key. anyway, i think keyboards are probably the last thing to go in a computer. they are built pretty solidly considering its the most used device in a computer.

oh, and i would like to add that the keys on the powerbooks are not aluminum but plastic (i think) w/ matching aluminum color.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I assume you are talking about the external keyboard? We have one in the house here that I am sure sees it's fair abuse given the people that use it are 13 and 11 for the most part. It's been here since the inception with no problems.

4. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I've had mine for about 2 years now and its still in perfect condition. I've never broken a keyboard in my life though so I don't really know. Why are you asking how durable it is? What do you plan on doing with this keyboard?

5. FRRYY macrumors member

i spilled tea all over my aluminum wired keyboard about 2 months ago.
    i quickly unplugged it and tried to dry it up as best i could. let it dry overnight.

Plugged it back in the next day and was surprised it worked.
    My shift key was a bit sticky tho, but after a week of using it, it felt like normal again.

(this may or may not matter, but i have my tea with sugar and creme)

i'll update if it starts to lose any functionality, but so far, all the keys work.

6. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I bought the keyboard directly after it has been released and it's still working without any issues.
    Got three of them now (two wired, one wireless) and I'm typing about 10 hours a day (software dev). No issues whatsoever.