How durable is the case?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DolmenRage, Mar 21, 2010.

1. DolmenRage macrumors member

I got a Unibody Macbook about a week ago and I can already see some scratches on the top of the lid. I'm very clean with my stuff and I hate it when it gets scratched and ugly, I looked into buying a bestskinever but they don't ship to where I live.

2. lyons238 macrumors 6502

i noticed the same. but once u get a few scratches on it you dont notice anymore. its not terrible. and as far as the bestskinever. dont get it. for me it looked horrible. didnt fit as good as i expected, had bubbles, and just looked hacked. it ended up being a 30 dollar wad of plastic in my garbage.

i ended up getting the incase soft touch case that just came out. i love it. its much better than my speck seethru case that i no longer use

[​IMG]

3. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Just like any new thing, the first few scratches will bother the snot out of you for a time, but eventually the bother will pass. It's an unfortunate reality when two physical objects touch - one of them is generally going to be damaged in some way :p

4. Skippy440 macrumors member

Skippy440

5. DolmenRage thread starter macrumors member

6. lyons238 macrumors 6502

dont get the speck. the speck mucks up the edges of the screen (the way it clips on and off), doesnt have bottom ventilation, and just has an overall worse look than the case i got

i have the incase clear. its pretty clear but has a soft smoke look to it. its very nice. and its also a soft touch so its nice to grip.

7. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I've posted this a few times before on different threads, but no one acknowledges having tried it...

You could get Meguiar's PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish to remove the scratches. I recall that people were using it a few years ago to remove scratches from their iPods, so it'd probably work on a polycarbonate MacBook, but to be safe I'd test it first on an inconspicuous area.

8. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Yea, I hate scratches too so the first accessories I get for my new Macs are a bestskinsever and a Moshi Clearguard keyboard cover.

I've tried both the Incase and Speck clear cases but they add considerable bulk and weight to the Macbooks, so I've settles on BestSkinsEver/InvisibleShield.

9. JacobHolmes macrumors newbie

JacobHolmes

Don't get Speck

Yeah, don't get the speck as someone already said. I'm on an aluminum MacBook and it even messed that up, it wears down the edges. You could get a nice case for it like a laptop sleeve. That way people wouldn't know you were specifically carrying a Mac, therefore you are less likely to get mugged. :cool: Lol

10. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I have a nice incase, case on my late 09 Macbook Uni. It protects well, keeps dust off, and offers some solid coverage without adding much weight or size. Just my .02:D

11. lyons238 macrumors 6502

i also have the incase..i posted a pic above, and it really is great. im pretty picky with my things too so..

12. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

the macbook is wonderfully designed, why cover it with a poorer designed piece of plastic?

Chill out and let your stuff acquire scratches, over time you won't care anymore.

13. DolmenRage thread starter macrumors member

I agree with the design thing and that's why I didn't want any hard plastic over it, but I usually carry my macbook in my bag with books and all kinds of pointy things that can scratch it severely. I ordered a bestskinever, it mantains the original look and it takes care of the scratches. Now I just need to wait for it to arrive.

14. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

If I were you I would send it back and get a Be.ez sleeve. Pop the lappy in it when you are throwing it in your bag and it will offer the very best protection from scratches and knocks (and pressure).

Then when you actually go to use the laptop, take it out the sleeve and voila: nicely designed mac.

15. lyons238 macrumors 6502

i also agree with the design thing, and i do like the look of the plain macbook. but i want my macbook to be mint so its easy to sell, and also my case provides support where some people are seeing cracks on the hinge. so id rather protect my babe as much as i can over having it look more stylish.

but then again my case is stylish and adds style in a different way, but also takes away some style.