How durable is the Macbook in the long run?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by asdfTT123, Nov 20, 2007.

1. asdfTT123 macrumors regular

I just bought a new SR Macbook a while ago and I absolutely love it...I plan to keep it for years to come until it's life comes to an end. For long time owners of the Macbook, how well has your Macbook kept up a constant beating? I also noticed the plastic on the left side of the Macbook (the side with the ports) seems a bit flimsy...I can push the plastic in and it bends a bit...does anyone else have this problem?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Very well so far, but I know of one with snapped plastic (my uncle's)...

3. Billy Bob macrumors regular

I can't see it lasting particularly well in the long run, mine already has losened up and is separating in a few places (had it for 8 months). The scatches which they accumulate no matter how hard you look after them makes them look very ratty as they age.

4. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

yeah in hoping to get another three years out of mine until i upgrade before im done with college!

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

My 12" iBook of 3 years is holding up very well, and I had it with me on my travels to England, Germany, and Spain. And everywhere in between. Same slightly flimsy plastic near the ports, but has never gotten more flimsy.

You're in good hands with the MB's durability.
    EDIT: I don't consider scratches to be an issue in durability. Machine still works as advertised (I assume so does Billy Bob's).

6. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

well ive had mine for 8 months and its still great. I use it quite a lot in my bi weekly trips to the office (I work from home every other week so use the imac).
    To me, as its so compact, it seems a hell of a lot more durable than other laptops that I have owned.
    That impressed I am buying my daughter one for christmas

7. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

No problems here - solution to 'cracking' problem - stop using it as a cricket bat.

8. Billy Bob macrumors regular

I haven't found that it's standing up anywhere near as well as my g4 ibook did. I think once you finally upgrade you will be quite disappointed.

9. TheQuestion macrumors regular

I have found that my three year old iBook, now my sister-in-law's, has held up much better than my wife's macbook (original Core Duo). The ibook just seems to be better constructed. The side with the ports on the MB does feel flimsy. The hinge is much looser too.

10. feyn-man macrumors regular

It's really a hard work.

I went to the apple store for a keyboard issue this morning. They give me a brand new machine. I'm so glad. But after that, just 10 minute later, someone touch her finger on the screen heavily when I show some picture to her. That makes me sick.

So, as you know, nobody love your macbook as yourself. And you must live with all these guys. It's so difficult to protect it for years.

:)

11. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Mine is now over 12 months old and still going. The plastic on the sides still seem ever so slightly flimsy, but I think that's more because of the fact it's been in for repair and dismantled twice. It's suffered quite a beating since then, having been hauled around University Campus in my backpack and flung about the place more than likely as a result.

Still performs as well as the day I got it.

12. TheStu macrumors 65816

15 Months and still going strong here.

Have replaced the topcase for the cracking issue (didn't know at the time that was covered under warranty), but the new one is holding up quite well. No staining to speak of, and the first one had become quite stained. Some dents from use, and one recent one where my friend tossed me his busted ipod... hit the top of my screen... nice little dent there now, jerk :)

Mine has been dropped, tossed, flipped, scratched, pounded upon, left in the cold, left in the heat, opened and examined more times than I can count, and generally not handled like glass. It is holding up exceptionally well, and I expect it to continue to do so. At some point I will replace the hard drive and add more RAM, but other than that, I don't expect that I will have to do much to keep this thing is excellent working order.

I do feel for Billy Bob's plight, but I serviced a G4 iBook recently... the polycarb that makes up the shell is much more brittle than on the MacBook, and was cracked in quite a few places. The keyboard had had the letters rubbed off from use (I have slightly acidic skin and my keys are still great) and in general it did not look to be in great shape. And this was a machine that basically went from desk to couch and back again, nowhere near the abuse that I have shown mine. I think his was the exception, and not the rule.

13. Billy Bob macrumors regular

Your point is well taken, one must remember with any product that it's possible to get a lemon.

14. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

It really all matters how well you handle it. Get a case for it, treat it like it should be treated. You are buying one of the best laptops you can buy. Dont just toss it around like others have said. Do this and you will have a mac for many many years.

15. TheStu macrumors 65816

Well, I certainly wasn't advocating taking it to teh depths of hell or anything, but, my machine has been definitely abused and is still running like a champ.

16. Yankees 4 Life macrumors 6502a

this is good to hear because i am going to buy a macbook or macbook pro very soon

17. TheStu macrumors 65816

Well, IMO, the MacBook Pro is nowhere near as durable as the MacBook... or rather, does not shrug off stuff like the MacBook does. On the MacBook Pro, if you do not take rather significant care of the system, it will become quite dented, perhaps to the point of restricting usability.

18. Yankees 4 Life macrumors 6502a

thanks stu, i was wondering about that. I think in january i will go and get me a refurbished santa rosa mb. Maybe by then people would've returned them.

19. sinistersai4d macrumors member

sinistersai4d

Had mine for 4 months and it's still looking fine.... and i doubt most people use their's more than me.... work, school, home... always on the go.

Get a CaseIt case and don't a be a moron abusing it.

20. irbdavid macrumors regular

irbdavid

I had my macbook over a year - hauled it into uni most days and back. Like people have said, how long these things last is mostly up to you. Get a good neoprene slip case is my recommendation. Only problem I had was the rubber feet on the macbook wearing out. Easy enough to replace them with something else though. Not much you can do about scratches...

Gave this machine to my mum and got me a new one last week, hopefully will last a few more years.

21. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I don't see them having nearly the durability of the G? models. Fact is; made in china, plastic, using mostly pc pieces parts repackaged with expensive apple on top. I've had 20+ apple laptops over 14 years and find the quality of the intel machines to be lacking. I have a couple 8+ year powerbooks that look better than my macbook of 7 months. Seriously. Face it, apple ain't what it used to be. My trackpad, spacebar and heavily used keys on latest MacBook are already shiny and look like they've been used for 7 years, not 7 months. I have a creaky hinge, crack on side, quickly decaying battery, very sharp edges and possibly the only laptop I'll probably buy applecare for. I also have issues with my MBP as well as one of my imac intel's. Not really bad issues, just quality, fit and finish not being what they were to give apple its name as a quality computer company. Buzzes here, loose keys there, uneven display lightings, sometimes non-ejecting dvd's, little annoying issues that I never experienced on apple products with such regularity previously. Well they didn't change to apple inc. from apple computer for nothing. Iphone, itv, itunes, ipod, istereo, iiiiii. Apple is good if you have stock but if you're a computer user and waiting for true innovative quality products that'll last, take a back seat. Your book will last maybe 4 years with tlc.

22. japresl macrumors member

my 13'' macbooks plastic seems pretty tough on that side. it's not giving at all.

23. Billy Bob macrumors regular

Yup I have exactly the same issue's that you do aside from the lose keys.

24. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

My experience so far is that it hasn't fallen below what other vendors offer; I've had HP, Compaq and Toshiba laptops and noticed alot more defects. I've had Dell desktops, again, alot more defects. With that being said, it doesn't excuse defects in Apple products but at the same time, lets keep things in perspective.

My mates look at my gear and constantly wonder whether its brand new or whether I bought it recently. They're surprised when I say, "oh, I bought it over a year ago". The difference is, I don't abuse my things. If am going to spend $2K+ on a machine, I'm going to treat it with the utmost respect. I don't just throw in on the desktop, I gently place it. I don't throw my bag around, I place it gently on the ground.

If you respect your equipment, you'll get years of reliablity out of it. Treat it like a rugby ball/cricket bat, expect problems.

25. samuraikiss macrumors regular

After almost ten months, my MacBook is still going strong. I found it surprising that the white exterior is still pristine. I spoil her with accessories and software, but I do still take her to class daily.