How durable is the Macbook Pro screen hinge?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mchank, Sep 12, 2007.

1. mchank macrumors regular

I had a Macbook that developed a crack near the screen hinge. I used it a lot with the screen pushed all the way back so that might've caused it. Is the Macbook Pro hinge durable?

2. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Macbook = plastic. Macbook Pro = metal. Metal doesn't usually crack.

3. pianos101 macrumors regular

maybe so, but every time my MBP screen reaches its farthest angle it feels like not too much force will cause it to break. Maybe not "crack" on the hinge, but definitely feels like something might go...

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You're right- metal just bends. Unfortunately, it doesn't bend back.

5. Eallan macrumors 6502

Metal can indeed crack or fracture too. Aluminum is fairly ductile though.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I've had a MBP since they were first available. Mine is not showing any signs of weakness around that area despite being in daily use since I got it...

7. mchank thread starter macrumors regular

I feel like I'm going to end up breaking it someday because the tilt angle is so small compared to other laptops. Every time I push the screen back I meet the resistance a lot quicker than my work laptop; force of habit I guess.

8. Canucklehead8 macrumors newbie

For what it's worth, I routinely cycle with my macbook pro in a pannier -- enclosed in a Vyper case, mind you -- and have never had any problems with the hinge or anything else.

I don't take it mountain biking or anything, but I do go down the occasional cobblestone or dirt road. Heck, my pannier even flew off my bike once (thanks to a pothole and my own ineptitude in securing the latch to my bicycle rack), and there was nary a scratch on the computer.

9. Coprolite macrumors member

Word of the day

I vote that pannier should be considered the word of the day. It is great to see that we have some erudite people on this forum.

Congrats Canucklehead8!