Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
I get off work at 6 am Friday morning, and the nearest apple store is about an hour and 45 minutes away. I wouldn't get there till around opening. Do you think that would be too late? I could drive 45 minutes and stand in line at Best Buy, but last year they didn't even have the model that I wanted, so had to settle for a different one.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Definitely need to get there now. If you aren't already there you're probably already too late :rolleyes:

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
No it's not too late

You'll have to wait a few hours, but you'll get one.

Don't worry

I waited in line for hours at Best Buy last year, and I just barely got one. I don't have any guarantee that I would get one if I got it from Best Buy. Last year they got way less than they expected.

----------

not needed....

back to op....

i think the line might be pretty deep. if your looking to getting a 4G model then best bet is to go to a AT&T or Verizon store.

Considering a 4g model, but every Verizon store that I have called, has said they don't know if they will have any in-store or not, but will start taking orders on that day.

wbeem

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2012
Nobody knows the answer to this question because they don't know how many iPads will be available at the store you choose.

Vorpal279

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Eastern NC
I'd give it a try anyway.

Correct me if I'm wrong...If they run out of a particular model, the staff comes out and announces it to the crowd waiting, right?

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
I waited in line for hours at Best Buy last year, and I just barely got one. I don't have any guarantee that I would get one if I got it from Best Buy. Last year they got way less than they expected.

Well apple stores will have 10x the stock best buy would ever get

For almost 5 years of iOS device launches, the apple store by me and where I used to live had stock for the 3 day weekend.

Just get to the apple store after work, but be prepared to wait for hours. They take usually 1 or 2 walk ins per 5 to 8 reservations.

As an ex apple store employee, I know what I'm talking about ;)

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yeah seriously. Drop out of college, quit your jobs, and go into debt to buy this new iPad......

Seriously though, yeah opening time will almost certainly be too late. I have long history of camping out for the newest gadget (ps2, ps3, iPhone 4, xbox) you name it) mostly because I really enjoy the experience. I will never pre-order. Having said that, I generally go about 12 hours ahead of time and showing up when they open is 99.5% of the time going to be a waste of time. Heck even the people who show up only two, three, or four hours ahead of time never make the cut.

Your honestly better off going on a day after launch where you can afford to be there by 4am and just exchanging what you have.

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Last year I arrived at my local Apple store 3 1/2 hours before the 5pm sale time and I was the last person to get a 64g wifi only black iPad, the guy behind me got the last white one. All 3G models went fast. I think depending on how large a city you are in plan on going at least 4 hours ahead to get an LTE model if that's what you want.

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.