How early do you need to be in line to get one from the Apple store?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jacoblee23, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

I get off work at 6 am Friday morning, and the nearest apple store is about an hour and 45 minutes away. I wouldn't get there till around opening. Do you think that would be too late? I could drive 45 minutes and stand in line at Best Buy, but last year they didn't even have the model that I wanted, so had to settle for a different one.

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

3. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

No it's not too late

You'll have to wait a few hours, but you'll get one.

Don't worry

4. Adgeman macrumors member

Idiots are already lined up outside the Regent St store in London.

5. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I work two jobs and go to college full time. I can't :(

6. Markiie macrumors 6502

Markiie

not needed....

back to op....

i think the line might be pretty deep. if your looking to getting a 4G model then best bet is to go to a AT&T or Verizon store.

7. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Definitely need to get there now. If you aren't already there you're probably already too late :rolleyes:

8. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I waited in line for hours at Best Buy last year, and I just barely got one. I don't have any guarantee that I would get one if I got it from Best Buy. Last year they got way less than they expected.

----------

Considering a 4g model, but every Verizon store that I have called, has said they don't know if they will have any in-store or not, but will start taking orders on that day.

9. wbeem macrumors member

Nobody knows the answer to this question because they don't know how many iPads will be available at the store you choose.

10. Vorpal279 macrumors member

I'd give it a try anyway.

Correct me if I'm wrong...If they run out of a particular model, the staff comes out and announces it to the crowd waiting, right?

11. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Obviously you have some twisted priorities...;)

12. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

Well apple stores will have 10x the stock best buy would ever get

For almost 5 years of iOS device launches, the apple store by me and where I used to live had stock for the 3 day weekend.

Just get to the apple store after work, but be prepared to wait for hours. They take usually 1 or 2 walk ins per 5 to 8 reservations.

As an ex apple store employee, I know what I'm talking about ;)

13. troop231 macrumors 603

How are they twisted? Everyone has their own beliefs on what their priorities are; I hope you get your iPad OP! :)

14. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

You completely missed the joke.....:rolleyes:

15. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yeah seriously. Drop out of college, quit your jobs, and go into debt to buy this new iPad......

Seriously though, yeah opening time will almost certainly be too late. I have long history of camping out for the newest gadget (ps2, ps3, iPhone 4, xbox) you name it) mostly because I really enjoy the experience. I will never pre-order. Having said that, I generally go about 12 hours ahead of time and showing up when they open is 99.5% of the time going to be a waste of time. Heck even the people who show up only two, three, or four hours ahead of time never make the cut.

Your honestly better off going on a day after launch where you can afford to be there by 4am and just exchanging what you have.

16. psychonaut macrumors 6502a

Last year I arrived at my local Apple store 3 1/2 hours before the 5pm sale time and I was the last person to get a 64g wifi only black iPad, the guy behind me got the last white one. All 3G models went fast. I think depending on how large a city you are in plan on going at least 4 hours ahead to get an LTE model if that's what you want.

Hope this helps.