How early should I get in line for the iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Skadoodat, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Skadoodat macrumors newbie

Well, the title says it all. Don't know how early I should get in line at my local apple store for the iPad 2.

I haven't gone to a release like this, so I don't know what to expect.

I'm planning on getting the 16gb wifi which is one of the most popular, and would be of the ones to sell out the fastest.

Would around 10:00 am be good?

2. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

Sure if you want to wait 7 hours.

3. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Why not just call the store and go from there?

Unlike last year where they went on sale as soon as the store opened, and therefore you couldn't call ahead because the store was closed...this year you can call throughout the day and ask a store associate how the line looks. If at 10 am he says there is no line, call back at 11am and so forth. If he starts saying something like "Theres about 15 people in line", then head down. That's my plan anyway.

4. Skadoodat thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I don't care about waiting in line, I just wanna know if I'd be able to get one. Without it selling out.

5. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

haven't you seen the headlines? people have already started lining up! GO NOW!!!

If you go to an apple store they'll probably have enough supplies so I'm going about 3:45.

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

To many variables to have a definite conclusion of time.

-City population
    -How many Apple stores are in your town
    -General interest of the community
    -Inventory supply per store will very depending of the stores popularity and location
    -Other retails stores like Target, Best Buy and Walmart will all start selling it at the same time, so this may or may not reduce lines at Apple.
    -Also Apple.com is rumored to begin pre-orders online at 12:01am the day of, so many people may not be incline to wait in line

7. Skadoodat thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I live in detroit and only have one apple store around that I know of, But every other place that's selling the iPad 2 is close by. Don't know if I'll go that early, but it would suck waiting hours then they are all out.

8. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I live in a small-ish city. It's only 40,000 people. I don't expect the turnout to be huge. I'm just going to go to Best Buy after school, & get in queue (if there even is one) around 4:30 or so.

9. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

Im really doubting that there is going to be really long lines for this release. Soo many people already bought ipads around christmas time and the only ones selling ipad1 for ipad2 are mostly apple fanatics which isn't that many contrary to popular belief.

10. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I understand a lot of people are new to this experience, but I have been to a launch an hour before and I have been to a launch 6 hours before, but I always left with the product in my hand.

This time I will arrive about an hour before, and if they sell out I will just go home and order one online and wait for it to arrive (life will go on if I don't get my new shiny to the day of).

11. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Heading to Thousand Oaks or Simi Valley, CA Apple around 3:30-4:00 depending on where I am throughout the day. Looking to pick up a 32GB 3G for myself and if they have any spare 16GB WiFi for my GF.

12. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Last year the iPad went on sale at 9am on a Saturday, I arrived at 8:45am and was out by 9:15-9:20am and home by 9:30am.

The iPad launch is not like an iPhone launch, your iPad does not need to be activated before you leave, just walk in, say which model and color, pay and out you go.

13. landonjh macrumors newbie

landonjh

Good luck calling... I've tried to get ahold of the Apple store on launch day before without much luck. They really try to focus on the customers in the store, but that sucks for those trying to find out information.... or they are just overloaded with calls. Who knows.

14. revolver07 macrumors newbie

Do you live in the city or the suburbs of Detroit. There are 3 apple stores around the metro area that I can think of.

I'm planning on lining up at Somerset Mall in Troy at either 2 or 3. I'm planning going there instead of Partridge creek mainly because I'd rather not wait outside.

15. Skadoodat thread starter macrumors newbie

The suburbs. I only know of the partridge creek one. just never bothered to see if there were other ones. But it's going to suck waiting outside, so cold.

16. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

17. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

18. clarknick67 macrumors member

it's might worth a waiting.

19. Skadoodat thread starter macrumors newbie

I just decided i'm leaving to get in line now. I just got fired from my job and I have nothing at all to do, plus I have a cool tent I have yet to use. Seems like the best choice.

20. camaroIOM macrumors 6502