How easily does that Aluminum finish scratch? rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by renosausage, Jul 20, 2013.

1. renosausage macrumors regular

I've been using an iCarbons skin on my rMBP since day one.

I love this skin, but lately I've been desiring a change.

I thought about removing the skin, but i'm afraid of scratching the aluminum finish.

How easily does the finish scratch?

Does anyone have a bunch of scratches on their rMBPs so far?

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Yeah, I got a bunch of hairline scratches on the back. Mostly from uneven or dirty desks. It is on the back, so I don't care.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Aluminum is a rather soft metal, it scratches quite easily. The MBP is hard anodized, so if you're scratching the finish, you're also scratching the aluminum under it.

I've never bothered with skins and stuff like that, they seem completely useless and cumbersome to me. Mine has quite a few hairline scratches on the bottom due to being used on less than clean desks, and honestly, I don't give a crap.

I bought my machine to use it, not to stare at it all day.

4. scbond macrumors 6502

It scratches, dents and chips fairly easily but it won't happen if you're careful.

5. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

The aluminum will scratch and dent easily but not as long as your careful with it. I have had mine for a few months now and have had no issues with it.

6. Woodcrest64 macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

I have a speck clear smartcase on my MacBook retina and I'm so glad I got it. A few months ago my 17 month old son pulled on the mag safe and it along with the MacBook went flying off the kitchen table onto the floor. It landed upside down . The ONLY damage was to the case with a few scratches. The MacBook was flawless. I'm not going to risk taking my speck case off :)

7. torana355 macrumors 68020

My 2011 MBA is still in mint condition and i have never used a case. I just take care when moving it ect.

8. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

early 2011 MBP without case and not one scratch.

9. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Pretty easy honestly. I treat mine well but **** happens and small things rub against it sometimes and it happens.

I use an iCarbons now and I'm pretty happy with it, doesn't even look bad

10. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

My MacBook Air that I've had for 8-9 months doesn't have a single visible scratch on display or machine. I just used a sleeved. This included taking it to lessons, and traveling quite a fair bit, and even using it drunk a couple of times. (Last was not clever, but I tend to be carefully anyway). :p

11. Ann P macrumors 68020

I honestly think it dents more easily than it scratches. :)