How easily does the alluminum scratch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by britneyfan, Dec 27, 2010.

1. britneyfan macrumors 6502

So I got my MacBook Pro. I'm barely going to go anywhere with it. I got a hardshell case with it but I put it on and I hated it. It was terrible.
    The screen can easily be cleaned... but the aluminum... not so much. How so I make sure that the aluminum doesn't get scratched? I'm really scared about that.

2. Kyffin macrumors 6502

I've not scratched mine yet and have had it for a few months now (not been particularly careful- just put it in a sleeve before going in a rucksack &c.) just using it without thinking about it you should be fine (they're designed carefully and not to look shabby quickly). Hope this helps

3. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

try wrapsol

4. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Its anodized so what you see is actually a hard coating on the aluminum and it is harder than just a standard piece of aluminum. This doesnt mean you cant scratch it but it is quite harder than aluminum without a coating. Just becareful what you sit it on and you will be fine.

5. dtblaze macrumors regular

It's hard to scratch imho... ive had it almost 2mo and there are no scratches.

6. dime21 macrumors 6502

Hard shell is no good, as the aluminum chassis is a giant heat sink - it needs to breathe to shed heat. A hard shell traps the heat in - no good.

It isn't easily scratched. A typical plastic dell peecee scratches easier than aluminum MBP. Don't worry so much, sit back, relax, enjoy life, and just use the thing.

7. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

Compared to most laptops (including polycarb Macbooks), the unibody MBP doesn't scratch as much.

HOWEVER, I treat my stuff pretty carefully and am always careful about where I put it, but there are probably 3-5 thin scratches on the left and right side of the bottom of the computer. Like the last poster said though, just use your computer (just don't throw it around like a brick!). If you cover it in a hard shell or a wrapsol/invisibleshield, you'll never really experience it as it was meant to be experienced ;)

8. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

haven't scratched mine, but keep in mind i don't wear watches or bracelets or rings or anything of that sorts.

i would recommend a wrapsol protector but when i used it on miner (for about a week or two) i started hating the feeling of it, i just love the feeling of the aluminum

9. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I have one scratch on the bottom of the case (how lucky is that?) and other than that it looks new. I transport it every day and use it 75% of my waking hours.

With that said, some users have had issues with 'chips' coming off the edges, but I personally feel this is a heat-treatment or coating issue.

10. calvy macrumors 65816

You should be more worried about dents. Those are way more likely in my personal experience with several Macbook Pros

11. Bumflake macrumors member

Those definitely can scratch your MBP.
    I have two minor scratches on the left palm rest, because my wife used it wearing a bracelet. :(

12. chazco macrumors member

It doesn't seem to scratch easily (assuming you take reasonable care of your MBP), although it does seem that resting your wrists on the MBP when typing can cause the the finish to wear away on the edges.

13. snaky69 macrumors 603

Scratches don't affect the function of the machine. If you're worried about scratching it so much, maybe you should leave it at home and never move it.

It WILL get scratched, no matter what you do, enjoy the computer and stop worrying about it!

14. StopSign24 macrumors regular

I've had my 13" MBP for over a year now, and have only gathered a few scratches on the back plate. Considering how often I move my laptop around the house and too/from school, it's kind of amazing how few scratches are on it.

15. SLOWRX macrumors newbie

I have an 08 MBP and just received my first scratch from the security bin at the airport.

16. Andyjack macrumors newbie

I got a neoprene zip sleeve for mine, which I make sure my mbp goes in after every use, and certainly for travel.

It means it can take light bumps being carried about town or shifted around the house, but when it comes out to be used, the look and feel is just as nature intended. And it does feel fine, I thought about a hard case, but I haven't found one yet I could bring myself to use.

The base plate has got some light scuffing from general table top use, but overall it seems pretty hardy - I do take care of my stuff, but I'm not over fussy :)

17. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

You don't gotta worry about scratches, it's dents that are the issue. A gentle breeze could dent a macbook

18. Sweeperdk macrumors regular

Sweeperdk

I have had my mid 09 mbp a little over a year.

No scratches so far, and I haven't been the most gentle person with it.

That said, my mbp is a tool. If it gets scratches, then so be it. I won't be overly protective of it, it is meant to be used.

19. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

The only thing that scratched mine was the damn seatbelt on an airplane. Now the bottom is pretty banged up but the rest of it is fine. I'd say what you should worry more about than the scratcehs is the text on the bottom which has completely worn off for me.

20. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

As others have said, denting is more of a problem.
    A plastic laptop will scratch much more easily but will bounce back into shape (up to a point) whereas Alu will simply ding or dent.
    I think the odd "battle scar" gives a MBP charachter anyway.

21. standingquiet macrumors 6502

standingquiet

Mine travels all over europe with me in a truck, when i stick it in my bag i have no neoprene case or anything and its fine. Just don't drop it of drop anything on it and you'll be fine.