How easy does the back of the iPad scratch?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bunger, Mar 9, 2011.

1. bunger macrumors 6502

I've got an iPad and always keep the apple cover on it. I am thinking about getting the smart cover with the iPad 2, but at leaves the back open. Does anyone know how easily it might get scratched if on a hard surface - ie, countertop?

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I first iPad back scratched pretty easily, but maybe that was because it had the pregnant back.

3. tomandshell macrumors regular

I'm going to be putting my iPad 2 with smart cover inside a padded case to store and transport it.

4. iDabble macrumors regular

never kept my ipad in a case and the screen and back were pretty scratched up

5. cyper2002 macrumors newbie

I don't think it scratches easily. Mine has been slid back an forth on the table when playing games and I've also not used a case quite a bit with it and I see no scratches on it.

6. tgcken macrumors member

I cannot recommend Zagg Full Body coverage highly enough. While it is a bit pricey, it keeps idevices looking great. While the ipad doesn't seem to be the scratch magnet that is the ipod touch, I still wouldn't want to risk my device.

That being said, I'm not putting it on the ipad 1 I purchased. It's a year old and the previous owner had it in the case over that year, and there are no scratches. (this would not be the case with ipod touch)

Without a real case, I would definitely recommend Zagg. Also, I hear their antiglare screen protectors are quite nice (I've only used the clear ones on my ipod, which are also nice).

Be sure to use a coupon when ordering from zagg. You can usually get anywhere between 20-50% off.

7. WLS macrumors 65816

I put a big decal on the back and that helped a lot. I got a LOST DHARMA decal from ETSY which helped raise the back and provided some grip to keep it from sliding out of my hand. :cool:

8. urkel macrumors 68030

I cant name an Apple product that didn't scratch up easily on the back so I dont see this being any different.

BTW. I owned a launch iPad that was in its case since day 1. When I sold it i noticed 2 scratches (possibly from dust getting caught in the case) and a dent on the corner (never dropped it but its soft aluminum so it mustve bumped into something as some point). So my opinion is that people with those covers will be living in scratch city.