How easy is installing Jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by superspiffy, Feb 27, 2008.

1. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

Is Jailbreak as easy as installing a software update and your iPod doesn't need to be reformatted and have everything retransfer after the installation? Is it the same with uninstalling it and reinstall the firmware 1.1.4? I'm thinking about trying it out but I don't want to have to go through the trouble of having resyncing everything when I decide it's not worth keeping.

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

why not wait a week and see what the sdk even brings us?

3. MurphyM macrumors 6502

It's hard to predict what will happen when you're jailbreaking. Some jailbreaks are designed to preserve the state of your ipod. But you never know when a little something will go wrong and you'll have to reset the ipod, losing all the data and having to set it all up again.

As for waiting for the SDK: With a report about the SDK (if not the SDK itself) only a week away I would agree it's worth waiting.

That said, I'm not sure I'll be giving up my hacks. I have doubts that the touch will allow things like Terminal interfaces to be installed. Maybe I'm wrong and Apple will really open it up. But I'm not willing to give up the ability to install what I choose to install just because Apple has an SDK.

If there's a key application that only works with an unhacked device and others that only work hacked I'll have some hard decisions to make.