How Easy Is It To Change a HDD (MBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Frozo., Feb 7, 2011.

1. Frozo. Guest

I'm looking at saving some money and I will be buying a HDD elsewhere as I can get better for cheaper.

I just want to know a few things;

1) How do you change the HDD over?

2) I know that it comes with the OSX disc but how do you boot from the disc?

Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. Frozo. thread starter Guest

4. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

Make sure you have all the right screwdrivers etc

5. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

I upgraded mine to a 500GB HDD. Partitioned an 80GB slice for Windows 7 (Bootcamp). It was super easy. macsales.com (OWC) has some how to videos on how to do this.

I recommend the following steps.

1. Run a TM backup of existing HDD on an external harddrive
    2. Put new HDD in MBP
    3. Format/Partition new HDD using installation leopard OSX CD
    4. Use migration assistant to setup your new HDD with the TM backup you created in step 1.
    5. Keep old HDD for 2 or 3 weeks to ensure everything is working before erasing it.

Cosmo

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

The actual hard drive swap is dead easy. The more difficult part in my opinion is getting the macbook to be set up the same way you had it before the HDD swap. (Folders, custom icons, custom docks, permissions, saved passwords ect.) Although CCC and Super Duper have solved these problems.

7. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

I stuck my new drive in a USB enclosure and make a complete backup with disk utility....google for instructions. Pulled bottom panel and replaced drive. Booted a little slow but all is well after first startup. Checked permissions and done.

The hardest part was the backup/clone. Took 3 hours over standard USB. If I would have had a firewire enclosure would have been twice as quick.