How easy is it to detect water damage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wellingtonwimpy, Aug 8, 2010.

1. wellingtonwimpy macrumors member

This morning I accidentally knocked a glass of water over on my iphone, which was facing up. I immediately took it out of it's case and dried it off, and shook out any openings just in case water got in. The phone seems to be working fine. Calls are clear and everything works at normal speed. The only thing that might be a problem is that there seems to be a bit more static on the voice recorder, but I can't even really tell if that's different or just me being paranoid.

I'm pretty sure no water got into the headphone jack or dock, but I don't know about the earpiece. I've read that the phone has sensors that turn pink if damaged. I can't see any reddish hues anywhere on the phone, but I'm not exactly sure what these look like. Any tips on how to figure out if I have a problem or if it was just a close call?

2. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

If I were you, even though there was only a small amount of liquid, I would still turn it off, and put the phone in a zip lock bag filled with dry rice for 3 days. This might help prevent any further damage from occurring.