How easy is it to fry a PB motherboard ??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by charlieroberts, Aug 13, 2008.

1. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

Hi, I am very frustrated, I was trying to open a 1.67 ghz 17' pb to connect a new touchpad, when suddenly and without meaning to, my screwdriver touched a couple of the prongs of the battery connection.
    And a couple of sparks flew, I really didn't think it would matter, but when I closed the pb back, IT WON'T power up !
    I have tried reseting the PMU to no avail...

Could this have ruined my pb ???? Or does anyone think of another possible reason ??

I really appreciate any input from anyone !!!!!!! If my pb has died.... I am about to jump out of the window myself ...

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Battery + Sparks = BAD END

Was the battery in or was it just the connector?

3. charlieroberts thread starter macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

thank you for answering !

But I think you missunderstood me... the prongs I touched were not the ones in the battery. I touched the ones on the computer and it was not connected to the AC, nor the battery was attached.

And the battery appear to be working ok...

4. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

Wow thats awful. Better bring that to a service center to have it checked out...

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

how did you make sparks fly if the battery and ac were not connected. Something doesn't add up here.

6. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

well, the pram battery is still there...and there are caps, but yeah that dont make sense

i fried a board when an sata power plug got stuck on one of the usb prongs...

7. charlieroberts thread starter macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

I was also guessing it had to do with the PRAM battery, but i'm telling you, the sparks did fly, and now it won't respond.

So you guys definitively think the board is fried ??? It'll be pretty expensive to buy a new one.

Just one question, is there anyway to know if the board is dead ?
    What would you do in my case, I don't have applecare and very limited resources to get it fixed (I'm guessing it can get pretty expensive!)

8. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

take it to apple, if its covered they will fix it. might be best not to tell them you broke it.

if its the logic board = game over.

9. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Well if it's still under Apple Care and they can't find evidence of physical damage, good deal. Just tell them it stopped working (do NOT tell them how it happened, lol..)