How easy is it to replace Macbook palmrest.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bigrell486, Jun 21, 2008.

1. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

bigrell486

I've bought a refurbished macbook about 2 years ago and this thing has been slowly self-destructing. I opted not to purchase Apple care on it because I didn't want to pay the extra money but now I'm wishing I did.
    Just after the 1 year warranty expired, the ethernet port on my Macbook stopped working. Then I began to notice that the palm rest was beginning to chip away just from closing the lid. I didn't think much of it until the sides near the ports began to chip away aswell and on top of that, The palm rest are now a nice shade of yellow.

Anyway, I just want to know if it will be easier and less expensive to replace the palm rest myself, or to just have Apple do it.

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Do it yourself! Anybody at RIT better be able to! ;)

$40 will get you a quality keyboard/palmrest/trackpad on ebay; less than $10 will get you tools and manuals (you can do it with a credit card if you want). Beware the ifixit.com free instructions for the work, though, because they neglect to mention you need to take 4 more screws out (any assemblies with hairline cracks around the part under the wrists are the result of folks using the instructions with this omission).

3. bigrell486 thread starter macrumors 6502

bigrell486

Now you say $40 will get me quality, is this to say that these are not official macbook replacements but worthy substitutes?

Edit: I'm checking ebay right now, I'll see for myself. :eek:

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

They're mostly working pulls. So, yes, they are genuine Apple. They also have a few miles on them.

5. bigrell486 thread starter macrumors 6502

bigrell486

If I should avoid ifixit, then where can I find complete instructions?

6. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

ifixit is the big free site that I'm aware of. I don't know what else might be out there for free but it might be worth it to spend a minute or two on a google search. Alternatively, you can purchase the apple manuals on ebay - several sellers offer a cd full of them for around $10 shipped. You can get free access to the same with the purchase of spudgers through techound1.com (either on the site or via ebay) [full disclosure: yep, that's my store]

7. bigrell486 thread starter macrumors 6502

bigrell486

I went to the Apple store today. And they replaced my palm rest for free out of warranty, they even gave me a new battery.

Just posting to inform anyone else in my situation.