How easy is it to replace parts inside a MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slapple, May 1, 2010.

1. slapple macrumors 6502

I should be getting my first MBP soon, and I am just curious as to how easy it would be to replace parts (like memory, hard drive, SuperDrive, CPU, etc.) in a MBP?

I only have experience with Windows computers. I've built my own desktop PCs before, and I have a ThinkPad laptop which came with instructions on how to replace everything inside the laptop - I actually replaced the LCD screen on it one time! So I'm just wondering if Mac laptops have the same upgradeability as Windows laptops?

2. John Kotches macrumors 6502

There's very little deemed as user replacable... technically, it's the memory and hard drive.

Memory, HD and Superdrive are very easy to replace.

CPU is not user replacable. There are very few laptops that have replacable CPUs. Desktops yes, but not laptops.

There are very few laptops from any manufacuturer that have true upgrade capabilities -- I used to own one, the Asus C90S.

Most do not.

3. iketeru macrumors member

http://www.ifixit.com/ has provided parts for any fixes I've ever needed...granted they weren't too complicated. their installation guides are priceless, and I'm pretty confident I could replace any part needed through their store.