How easy is it to sell a used iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Chupa Chupa, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Up until now the only Mac desktop I've ever owned, except for the SE20, were headless ones. I've never had any problem getting a good price for them, and quickly.

I'm thinking of going iMac this time. I like to refresh my computers every 1.5 to 2 years. Does the iMac retain value as well as the MP and MBPs? And do they sell quickly on eBay or tend to lag?

2. david19801 macrumors member

3. aneftp macrumors 68040

I've sold 2 of my imacs (one in Jan 2010 (it was a late 2007 core 2 2.4 model). And just sold my (late 2009, core i7 27 inch model) on craigslist.

Sold it fast. Like in less than 1 day on craigslist.

So reselling iMac is easy.

Easy selling is all realtive depending on how much you want to get.

I looked at ebay. Most of my late 2009 core i7 were selling on ebay for around $1200-1300. I factored in ebay/paypal fees and shipping cost.

I listed my iMac for $1100 and it sold literally within hours. Guy came to my house and picked it up. I live in a 24 hour gated community, it's daylight. I reverse number looked guy up. He was legit. He gave me the $1100 cash.

Easy sell.

Same with my other 24 inch iMac sell.

Just don't get too greedy. I see people trying to list their iMacs (like my core i7) for $1500 on craigslist. People are crazy. Or they think someone will try to negogiate them down on prices.

I simply list my price at $1100. Tell people I think it's a fair price. It's an almost 3 year old computer. I tell people I still have 3 months of warranty from AppleCare. It sells for that price.

Can I sqeeze another $100? Maybe. But not worth my time when I am trying to sell it.

Get AppleCare for iMac. It's cheap (much cheaper than for macbooks). Well worth it.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A headless computer is one without a display.