How easy is it to upgrade the GPU/Processor/Ram

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbrent89, Jul 15, 2009.

1. jbrent89 macrumors member

Id like to get a Pro, but I dont need the strongest... but I will need to upgrade in like a two years or so... atleast Im considering it

How easy are the GPU/Processor/Ram? My Blackbook ram was easily removable, but for some reason wont fit in my iMac ram... and i scratched my screen up swapping RAM :(

if anyone has reccomendations for iMac scratch removal I need that as well.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Probably due to a switch from DDR2 to DDR3 memory, which is another generation.

Likely you won't be able to use the current DDR3 memory in two years due to the new machine requiring faster memory.

As far as upgrading the GPU and CPU, you'll do it the same way you did it this time -- buy a new machine. (that'll tell you how easy the swap was)

3. Some Guy 555 macrumors regular

Ram Upgrades: Real easy. Just take the bottom case off the MBP, take out the old sodimms and put the new ones in.

CPU(processor) Upgrade: Unless you are A+ certified and really know what you are doing, please do NOT attempt this. It is VERY HARD. You would have to desolder the processor, then resolder a new one in.

GPU Upgrade: Same as the processor upgrade, very hard.

4. jbrent89 thread starter macrumors member

hmm, im just leaning towards a 13", or maybe just skip the gpu but get the 15" screen. and ssd ..

I want to do Graphic Design, but Im not sure how much power I will really need for that. The only games i want to play are SC2 and D3... i dont really need anything better and Im going to college so the cheaper the laptop the better incase of anything serious.. i use Lojack, but coffee spills etc..

5. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

13in 2.26GHz Macbook Pro seems fine.

6. Some Guy 555 macrumors regular

My advice: Get the highest end 13 inch model. 2.53Ghz and 4GB ram. stick with the lowest end HDD possible. Then proceed over to newegg and order an intel X25-M 160GB or a X25-E 64GB. Each are around 600-700CAD (500USD). Cheaper than apples SSD's and ridiculously higher performance.

X25-M 160GB
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167015

X25-E 64GB
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167014

There is also a 80GB version of the M series for half the price.
    There is also a 32GB version of the E series for half the price.

If you buy the highest end 13 inch MBP and buy one of these SSD's from newegg you will be spending around $2000 to $2400 TOPS. Your system will be rediculously fast and portable thanks to the 13 inch :)

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't think you're giving the difficult of the task proper credit. It's more or less impossible. Desoldering hundreds of SM pins while still maintaining the integrity of the pads would take many days to do correctly. No amount of certification is going to make this easier. Then you'll need to get a chip with the same number of pins that is configured in the same way (virtually a 0% chance of finding a case like this) to resolder to the logic board. Then there are going to be firmware issues which will probably require you to do some heavy editing of OS X's system files, which, even after doing so, still doesn't guarantee that your machine will run properly.

So for all practical purposes, this is impossible. Use the time you would spend patching together an "upgrade" to work and earn money for a new machine outright.

8. zorahk macrumors 6502

I wanna know if anyone has ever tried this, or done it by using a computer operated soldering bath.
    Editing the kexts would be the easiest part, you do that for OSX86 anyway.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Well I imagine someone might have done (or at least tried) this, but honestly what does using an automated process get you other than maybe some time savings? It costs hundreds of dollars and many hours of labor (layout planning) to make prototype SM boards, and it's also a huge pain in the ass to add components to a board that already has soldered elements (further increasing the cost).

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

GPU and Processor is not upgradeable, they're soldered onto the logic board, so its not conceivable to even consider this, instead look to purchasing the laptop that best fits your needs and budget

Ram - very easy
    Hard drive - very easy.

Laptops are not known for their upgradability but rather their portability and to that end your options are limited to what you personally can upgrade and what upgrade options are available at time of purchase.

11. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

There is a possibility that Intel is releasing larger capacity SSD's in the near future (80GB, 160GB, 320GB) for a much cheaper price. I think this is the X25-M line that will be updated. If you want performance, the X25-E line is one of the fastest SSD's out there.

12. Some Guy 555 macrumors regular

You are correct about the X25-M being the line that will be updated first. There is no rumors about the E line being updated until early 2010 or Q4 2009.

13. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

you say the cheaper the better and your getting a mac? over $1000 isnt cheap in my book.....but to each his own i guess.