Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WillEH

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
United Kingdom
Just wondering how easy iWeb is to use? and once I make the layout, etc. All I need to do is upload the saved file to my host? and it will appear on the website?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's rather easy to use, but quite limited in advanced features. I've messed with it a little here and there but prefer Dreamweaver CS4.

Keep in mind that iWeb has it's death warrant sealed and execution is right around the corner and there is no chance of a pardon either.

WillEH

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
United Kingdom
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's rather easy to use, but quite limited in advanced features. I've messed with it a little here and there but prefer Dreamweaver CS4.

Keep in mind that iWeb has it's death warrant sealed and execution is right around the corner and there is no chance of a pardon either.

It's being discontinued?

I have CS5 master collection, does that come with Dreamweaver? also how easy is Dreamweaver to use? I have skill with PHP, etc. Still learning lots though!

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Steve Jobs Confirms Discontinuation of iWeb in iCloud Transition

Not sure if that suite comes with DW or not. I bought mine as a stand alone program a few years back. It's easy enough for beginner users or simple ones like myself. I don't know PHP either and only a little CSS. But I can still make some decent looking sites.

All my HTML experience is self taught, I've never had formal training in web development.

Shawnpk

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

I'm not sure Apple is discontinuing the iWeb app, but definitely discontinuing iWeb sites that are hosted on MobileMe. Apple just recently released an minor update (through Software Update) to iWeb.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Master collection includes dreamweaver. Use that to make your initial site, then use Contribute to update it without having to worry about code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eleanorbrown

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2011
I have used iWeb since it was first introduced and created a great website (with just under 20,000 hits so far) that is rather extensive, elegant and very easy to navigate. I am a photographic artist so have many many pages loaded with my images, slideshows with music, etc. I find that iWeb is an incredible application and am very disappointed to see Apple eliminate it from iLife in the future and not support it on their server.

Last edited by a moderator:

RKmd

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2010
Houston, TX
Once you really start getting into it, I'd strongly recommend Panic's Coda for tweaking your HTML, CSS, etc. I've used DreamWeaver in the past but found it to be too bloated... perhaps more suited for a professional web developer rather than a hobbyist.

Curren~Sea

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Check out Wordpress. http://wordpress.org/

This is by far the most feature rich web development platform that is also easy to use. And, it will not require you to spend countless unproductive hours learning code. Most major web hosts offer free and easy installation of this package complete with instructions on how to use it.

I've used iWeb and like it but I have noticed the occasional incompatibility that I find unacceptable. Additionally, I found it not real easy to make changes to a live site.

MarianoE

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008
I second WordPress. iWeb has more disadvantages than advantages. Biggest one is lack of CMS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.